SpywareRemover is a rogue anti-spyware program that is advertised through the use of malware. When this malware, labeled Hoax.Win32.SpyWare.d by Kaspersky antivirus, are installed on your computer you will start to see popups for a variety of services. One of these is advertisements is a misleading popup stating you are infected and that you should install SpywareRemover to remove it. The title of this popup is Spyware detected! and the content of the popup is:
Windows has detected a spyware infection!
Please install Spywareremover to remove the infection.
Once SpywareRemover is installed, it will automatically scan your computer for infections and then display a variety of false positives as well as an interesting find; the malware that installed it in the first place. In order to remove these infections, though, you must first purchase a license of the software. Screen shots of the SpywareRemover program and the popup stating you are infected can be seen below.
Popup advertising SpywareRemover
This guide will walk you through removing the SpywareRemover program.
Self Help Guide
If you are uncomfortable making changes to your computer or following these steps, do not worry! Instead you can get free one-on-one help by asking in the forums.
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- Download SmitfraudFix.exe from here and save it to your desktop:
Confirm that the file SmitfraudFix.exe now resides on your desktop, but do not double-click on the icon as of yet. We will use it in later steps. The icon will look like the one below:
- Next, please reboot your computer into Safe
Mode by doing the following:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
Windows icon appears, press F8.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
- When you are at the logon prompt, log in as the same user that you had
performed the previous steps as.
- Restart your computer
- When your computer has started in safe mode, and you see the desktop, close
all open Windows.
- Now, double-click on the SmitFraudfix icon that should be residing on your
desktop.The icon will look like the one below:
- When the tool first starts you will see a credits screen. Simply press
any key on your keyboard to get to the next screen.
- You will now see a menu as shown in the image below. Press the number 2
on your keyboard and the press the enter key to choose the
option Clean (safe mode recommended).
- The program will start cleaning your computer and go through a series of
cleanup processes. When it is done, it will automatically start the Disk Cleanup
program as shown by the image below.
This program will remove all Temp, Temporary Internet Files, and other files that may be leftover files from this infection. This process can take up to a few hours depending on your computer, so please be patient. When it is complete, it will close automatically and you will should continue with step 11.
- When Disk Cleanup is finished, you will be presented with an option asking
Do you want to clean the registry ? (y/n). At this
screen you should press the Y button on your keyboard and
then press the enter key.
- When this last routine is finished, you will be presented with a red screen
stating Computer will reboot now. Close all applications.
You should now press the spacebar on your computer. A counter will appear
stating that the computer will reboot in 15 seconds. Do not cancel this countdown
and allow your computer to reboot.
- Once the computer has rebooted, you will be presented with a Notepad screen
containing a log of all the files removed from your computer. Examine this
log, and when you are done, close the Notepad screen.
Your computer should now be free of the SpywareRemover infection.