Windows Prime Booster is a rogue anti-spyware program from the Rogue.FakeVimes family of computer infections. This program is considered a rogue anti-spyware program because it displays false scan results, fake security warnings, and does not allow you to access your legitimate Windows applications. Windows Prime Booster is distributed through web sites that display a fake online virus scanner that states your computer is infected and then prompts you to download the installation file. This infection is also promoted by hacked web sites that contain exploit code that tries to install the infection on your computer without your permission or knowledge.
Once Windows Prime Booster is installed it will be configured to automatically start when you login to Windows. Once started, it will pretend to scan your computer and then states that there are numerous infections present. If you attempt to remove any of these supposed infections, the program will state that you first need to purchase a license before being allowed to do so. As all of the scan results are false, please ignore any prompts to purchase the program.
To protect itself from being removed, Windows Prime Booster will also block you from running any legitimate application on your computer. It does this to prevent you from running legitimate security software that may detect it as an infection and remove it. The message that you will see when you attempt to run a program is:
Firewall has blocked a program from accessing the Internet
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
is suspected to have infected your PC.
This type of virus intercepts entered data and transmits them
to a remote server.
When you see this message please ignore it as your programs are not infected and will work normally after this infection is removed.
While Windows Prime Booster is running it will also display fake security alerts that are designed to make you think your computer has a severe security problem. Some of these warnings include:
Trojan activity detected. System integrity at risk.
Full system scan is highly recommended.
System data security is at risk!
To prevent potential PC errors, run a full system scan.
Just like the scan results, these warnings are fake and can be ignored.
As you can see, this infection was created for the sole reason of scaring you into purchasing it. It goes without saying that you should definitely not purchase Windows Prime Booster, and if you already have, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges stating that the program is a scam and a computer virus. To remove Windows Prime Booster and other related malware, please use the free removal guide below.
Self Help Guide
If you are uncomfortable making changes to your computer or following these steps, do not worry! Instead you can get free one-on-one help by asking in the forums.
- For the first part of this removal guide you will need to use a different
computer than the infected one in order to download and save some files that we need for the fix.
- On a clean computer, start a web browser and download and save the following Windows Registry file to your desktop from the link below:
- When the file has finished downloading, please burn it on to a CD or save it to a USB drive so that we can transfer the file to the infected computer.
- When you have finished saving the RemVimes.reg registry file to a removable media, please reboot the infected computer. While the computer is starting please
being to repeatedly tap the F8 key on your keyboard. This
will open up the Advanced Boot Options screen, in Windows
7 or Vista, or the Windows Advanced Options Menu in Windows
XP. The screen that you need to get to will look similar to the one below.
At the above screen you will see a variety of options that can be used to boot Windows. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the option labeled Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Once it is highlighted, click on the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Windows will now start and if you have multiple accounts or a password on
your single account, you will be presented with a screen asking you to login
to Windows. Please select your account and enter any password that you may
have. When done, the Windows Command Prompt will open and you will see a screen
similar to the one below.
The Command Prompt allows you to type commands and then press Enter on your keyboard to execute them. In this Command Prompt window, please type explorer.exe and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- The Windows desktop will now appear. When the desktop appears you can then
close the Command Prompt window by clicking on the X.
- Now insert your CD or USB drive and open up the drive letter associated with your inserted media. You can access this drive letter by opening the Computer icon on your desktop or from the Start Menu. Once the drive letter is open, double-click on the RemVimes.reg and allow the data to be merged when you are prompted. Once the data has been merged, you can press the OK button and remove the removable media from your computer.
- Please reboot your computer into the normal Windows mode and login as the infected user. When you are back at your normal Windows desktop please continue with the next step.
- Now that you are at your normal Windows desktop, we need to download Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which will clean the remnants of this infection for free. Please download and save the Emsisoft Anti-Malware setup program to your desktop from the link below:
The download is fairly large, so please be patient while it downloads.
- Once the file has been downloaded, double-click on the EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup_bc.exe icon to start the program. If Windows Smart Screen issues an alert, please allow it to run anyway.
If the setup program displays an alert about safe mode, please click on the Yes button to continue. You should now see a dialog asking you to agree to a license agreement. Please access the agreement and click on the Install button to continue with the installation.
- You will eventually get to a screen asking what type of license you wish to use with Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
If you have an existing license key or want to buy a new license key, please select the appropriate option. Otherwise, select the Freeware or Test for 30 days, free option. If you receive an alert after clicking this button that your trial has expired, just click on the Yes button to enter freeware mode, which still allows the cleaning of infections.
- You will now be at a screen asking if you wish to join Emsisoft's Anti-Malware network. Read the descriptions and select your choice to continue.
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware will now begin to update it's virus detections.
Please be patient as it may take a few minutes for the updates to finish downloading.
- When the updates are completed, you will be at a screen asking if you wish to enable PUPs detection. We strongly suggest that you select Enable PUPs Detection to protect your computer from nuisance programs such as toolbars and adware.
- You will now be at a screen asking what type of scan you would like to perform.
Please select the Full Scan option to begin scanning your computer for infections. The Full Scan option will take the longest time to scan your computer, but will also be the most thorough. As you are here to clean infections, it is worth the wait to make sure your computer is properly scanned.
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware will now start to scan your computer for rootkits and malware. Please note that the detected infections in the image below may be different than what this guide is for.
Please be patient while Emsisoft Anti-Malware scans your computer.
- When the scan has finished, the program will display the scan results that shows what infections where found. Please note, due to an updated version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, the screenshot below may look different than the rest of the guide.
Now click on the Quarantine Selected button, which will remove the infections and place them in the program's quarantine. You will now be at the last screen of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware setup program, which you can close. If Emsisoft prompts you to reboot your computer to finish the clean up process, please allow it to do so.
- Please reboot your computer into the normal Windows mode and when you are back at your normal Windows desktop or Windows Start Screen please continue with the next step.
- As this infection is known to be installed by vulnerabilities in out-dated and insecure programs, it is strongly suggested that you use
Secunia PSI to scan for vulnerable programs on your computer. A tutorial on
how to use Secunia PSI to scan for vulnerable programs can be found here:
How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
Your computer should now be free of the Windows Prime Booster infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the full version of Emsisoft Anti-malware to protect your computer against these types of threats in the future.