Windows Antivirus Pro is a rogue anti-virus program and a ransomware that does not allow you to run any programs on your computer. When Windows Antivirus Pro is installed it is configured to run every time Windows starts. Once running it will automatically scan your computer and then list a variety of infections that you cannot attempt to remove until you purchase the program. This program also acts as ransomware because while it is running it will state that almost any program you try to execute is an infection and not allow you to run it. This makes it hard to run any legitimate anti-malware programs until you end the Windows Antivirus Pro processes or purchase it.
While Windows Antivirus Pro is running you will also see numerous security alerts and hijacks appear while using your computer. A summary of the types of alerts you will see are:
- The following message will be shown when you try to run almost any application:
Running of application is impossible. The file C:\Windows\Notepad.exe is infected. Please activate your antivirus program.
- Security alerts, or Infiltration alerts, falsely stating that your computer
is under attack or that a security risk has been found. Examples of messages
you will see are:
Warning: Infection is Detected
Windows has found spyware infection on your computer!
Click here to update your Windows antivirus software
There are critical system files on your computer that were modified by malicious program.
It will cause unstable work of your system and permanent data loss.
Click here to undo performed modifications and remove malicious software (Highly recommended).
Your computer continues to be infected with harmful viruses. In order to prevent permanent loss of your information and credit card data theft please activate your antivirus software. Click here to enable protection.
Malicious programs that may steal your private information and prevent your system from working properly are detected on your computer.
Click here to clean your PC immediately.
- A window that impersonates the Windows Security Center that promotes Windows
- While using Internet Explorer, you will randomly be shown an alert stating
that the site you are browsing has attacked your computer.
- A window that state that your Windows processes are crashing even whey are are not.
As you can see, Windows Antivirus Pro was designed to trick you into thinking your computer is under attack or infected when in reality the program itself is the infection. Instead of purchasing this program, please use the guide below to remove this program and any related malware for free.
Self Help Guide
If you are uncomfortable making changes to your computer or following these steps, do not worry! Instead you can get free one-on-one help by asking in the forums.
- Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is
open later in the fix.
- This application will disable the ability to use your Windows Task Manager.
To fix this, please download the following file to your desktop.
Once the file is downloaded, double-click on it and select Yes when it asks if you want to merge the data into your Registry. Once that is completed you should be able to use the Windows Task Manager.
- Now we need to end the two processes associated with Windows Antivirus Pro
as they do not allow you to run any applications that we will need to remove
this program. To do this we need to launch the Windows Task Manager by right-clicking
on the time in the Windows task bar and then selecting Task Manager.
The menu showing the Task Manager option is shown below.
- When Task Manager is started you will be in the Applications section as
At this point you should click on the Processes tab.
- You will now be at a screen that shows the running processes on your computer.
First put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Show processes from
all users as shown in the image below.
Then scroll through the list till you see the process called Windows Antivirus Pro.exe and left-click on it once so it becomes highlighted. Then click on the End Process button as shown by the red arrow in the picture above.
- When you click on the End Process button, Task Manager will ask you to confirm
if you are sure you want to terminate it as shown in the image below.
At this point you should press the Yes button in order to kill the process.
- After you have ended the Windows Antivirus Pro.exe process, scroll through
the list of processes until you find the svchast.exe process.
Then end this process as well by clicking on the End Process button and confirming
that you want to end it. Please note that in Windows there is a legitimate
program called svchost.exe, so please be careful to only end the process that
is spelled svchast.exe.
- Now that the two Windows Antivirus Pro processes are terminated, you can
use your programs again. You should now download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,
or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mb3-setup-1878.1878-126.96.36.1999.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the
Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish
button. If MalwareBytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that
you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically
update itself after the install, you can press the OK button
to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform
quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan
button to start scanning your computer for
Windows Antivirus Pro
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image
You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the WindowsAntivirusPro removal process.
- You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should
click on the Show Results button.
- A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown
as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and
display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the WindowsAntivirusPro program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.