SmitfraudFix is a program created by S!Ri to remove rogue security programs and related malware. This program targets malware that display fake security alerts on your computer, change your desktop background to security warnings, installs rogue programs, and the rogue programs themselves. Examples of programs that SmitFraudFix targets include:
- MS Antispyware 2009
- XP Police Antivirus
- IE Defender
- Zlob Trojans
- Smitfraud Trojans
The following guide will walk you through cleaning your computer of these types
of program with SmitfraudFix. Please follow the steps in order to begin the
SmitfraudFix Usage Guide:
- Print out these instructions as at one point during the instructions you
will be required to reboot your computer.
- Download SmitfraudFix.exe from the following link and save it to your desktop:
SmitFraudFix.exe Download Link
Confirm that the file SmitfraudFix.exe now resides on your desktop, but do not double-click on it as of yet as we will be using it in later steps. For your reference, the icon will look like the one below:
- Reboot your computer into Safe
Mode by performing the following steps:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
Windows icon appears, press the F8 key on your keyboard.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear appear that
looks like the following:
- Select the first option labeled Safe Mode and press
the enter key. If the Safe Mode option is not selected, you can use the
arrow keys on your keyboard to select it.
- When the computer boots up and prompts you to login, please login with
the same user that you downloaded SmitfraudFix previously.
- Restart your computer
- You should now be at your desktop in Safe Mode.
- Close all open Windows.
- Now, double-click on the SmitFraudfix icon that is residing on your desktop.The
icon will look like the one below:
- When the tool first starts you will see a credits screen. Press any key
on your keyboard to get to the next screen.
- You will now see a menu as shown in the image below. Press the number 2
on your keyboard and the press the enter key to choose the
option Clean (safe mode recommended).
- The program will start cleaning your computer and go through a series of
cleanup processes. When it is done, it will automatically start the Disk Cleanup
program as shown by the image below.
This program will remove all Temp, Temporary Internet Files, and other files that may be leftover files from this infection. This process can take up to a few hours depending on your computer, so please be patient. When it finishes please continue with the next step.
- You will now be at a screen with an option option asking Do
you want to clean the registry ? (y/n). At this screen you should
press the Y button on your keyboard and then press the enter
- When this last routine is finished, you will be presented with a red screen
stating Computer will reboot now. Close all applications.
Press the spacebar on your keyboard in order to start the reboot process.
A counter will appear stating that the computer will reboot in 15 seconds.
Do not cancel this countdown and allow your computer to reboot.
- Once the computer has rebooted, you will be presented with a Notepad screen containing a log of all the files removed from your computer. Examine this log, and when you are done, close the Notepad screen.
Your computer should now be free of the rogue program and its related malware.
If you still have a problem, then SmitfraudFix may not target the particular infections or the infection has changed. In this case you should follow the steps in our Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis and other Malware Removal Tools. Once you follow the steps please be patient while one of our helpers gets to your topic and can help you.