Today, Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 Build 18262 to the Windows Insiders in the Fast and Skip Ahead rings. This build comes with improvements for Task Manager and Narrator.
Microsoft notes that Windows 10 19H1 preview builds may contain critical bugs that might be painful for some users. If you're not ready to test the buggy preview builds but you still want early access to exciting features, you should consider switching to the Slow ring.
Task Manager improvements
Task Manager is getting a new optional column that would show you DPI awareness per process. You can right-click on any of the columns and click Select Columns to add DPI Awareness option in Task Manager.
Uninstall Inbox apps easily
Microsoft is now allowing users to uninstall some first-party apps (inbox apps) via the context menu on the Start menu All Apps list.
In Windows 10 October 2018 Update, you can uninstall the following apps via the context menu.
- Microsoft Solitaire Collection
- My Office
- Print 3D
In Windows 10 19H1, you can now uninstall the following first-party apps via the Start screen's context menu:
- 3D Viewer (previously called Mixed Reality Viewer)
- Groove Music
- Movies & TV
- Paint 3D
- Snip & Sketch
- Sticky Notes
- Voice Recorder
Narrator is getting a new feature that would allow you to configure the narrator to read by sentence. That means you can now read next, current and previous sentences in Narrator. Read by sentence is available on PCs that has keyboard and touch integration.
- Caps + Ctrl + Period (.) to Read next sentence
- Caps + Ctrl + Comma (,) to Read current sentence
- Caps + Ctrl + M to Read previous sentence
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in App History being blank in Task Manager in the last flight.
- We fixed an issue from the previous flight resulting in Task Manager’s icon in the notification area of the taskbar not staying visible while Task Manager was open.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the upgrade to the previous flight potentially failing with error This same issue could have resulted in Office products not launching, services not starting, and/or your credentials not being accepted on the login screen after first upgrading until rebooting.
- We fixed an issue where Settings would crash in the last few flights if in Ease of Access you clicked “Apply” on Make Text Bigger.
- We fixed an issue where Settings in the last few flights might crash in the last few flights when clicking Check for updates or applying an updated Active Hours range.
- We fixed an issue where Notepad wasn’t listed on the Set Defaults by App page in Settings.
- When adding a new language in Settings, we now offer separate options for installing the language pack and setting the language as the Windows display language. We also show separate options for installing the Speech recognition and Text-to-speech features, when these features are available for the language.
- We’ve updated the Printers & Scanners page in Settings to now include a link straight to the troubleshooter in case you need it.
- Some Insiders may notice some changes to clipboard history – more details later.
- We fixed an issue resulting in File Explorer not launching if invoked from a pinned Start tile when in Tablet Mode.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the brightness sometimes resetting to 50% after a reboot.
- We’re investigating an issue resulting in Settings crashing when invoking actions on certain pages. This impacts multiple settings, including various links in the
- Some users may have an issue launching Inbox Apps after updating. To resolve this please check the following thread on the Answers forum:
- Switching audio endpoints from the volume flyout in the taskbar doesn’t work – there will be a fix for this in an upcoming flight, we appreciate your patience.
- Task View fails to show the + button under New Desktop after creating 2 Virtual Desktops.
Known issues for Developers
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.