Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Hate To Post Yet Another Windows Explorer Problem, But...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InRealTime

InRealTime

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:08 AM

Hi all,

I've recently completed a fresh install of Windows XP Pro (build 2600) on a new Maxtor 6L100P0 HD. With all drivers and MS security updates installed, I started loading all my favorite software and at some point a Windows Explorer issue developed. Whenever I close a file (folder) an error window opens with: "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've tried two things from the forums; I changed the VIEW for all files from THUMBNAILS which seemed to work for a couple of sessions, then I tried: START, RUN, SFC.EXE /SCANNOW. So far that doesn't seem to have had any effect.

I've spent some time looking - before posting.

Appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hi, InRealTime. I'm guessing that you installed XP using an OEM (generic) install disc rather than from a "recovery" or "reinstall" disc that comes with many store-bought systems. This is good.

You can do what's called a Repair Install using the XP install disc. Here's good step-by-step instructions:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

When finished you will need to install all those Windows Updates again. It's best to set Windows Updates to Automatic.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

Yes, and if there are numerous updates (including any SPs), you may have to load some, then let it update, then re-boot, then load some more, then let it update, then re-boot, etc., a few times.

Make sure once you think it is done, to re-boot at least one more time so you'll feel confident it has "caught up" with all necessary updates before you install any programs.

Also, don't forget - that "factory fresh" install most likely does not have many required or up to date drivers for the various devices in your PC.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 InRealTime

InRealTime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the info! It is an OEM OS disk so I'll have to look into a Repair install. This has been the most problematic OS install I've ever done, and have already reinstalled it twice. I expect it to take a while to configure everything and work out any bugs/issues if possible, but I haven't come across these issues before. I've already installed all my software programs, so I'd rather avoid having to re-install, re-register, and re-configure everything.

There were 80 Microsoft security updates initially (several days ago), and six installed since then. I'll try downloading/installing them in groups of ten if it comes to that. I would like to resolve the issues without having to start over again.

Thanks again - I'll keep you posted.

IRT

#5 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

It is likely that the explorer.exe had crash with one of your software. Thus, it is good if you could list the error message when you get the crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users