Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With A Home-built Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vedasisme

vedasisme

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:36 AM

I just put together a new computer myself for the first time, and I can't get the thing to work now...

I set up the BIOS priority to boot from the CD drive, and installed windows that way, and then I used the disc that came with the motherboard (Gigabyte brand) to install the drivers, and it made the pc restart a couple times to install...and now it complains for the windows boot disc whenever i try to boot, and attempts to install windows again...

but then it thinks i don't have a hard drive connected!

So i went back into the BIOS and made the hard-drive higher priority to boot from...but it didn't fix the problem.

I'm in a real bind, because the disc that came with the motherboard is a system restore utility but apparently the partitions I used when I installed Windows are full.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vedasisme

vedasisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

Um...please disregard this post. I tried hitting escape to cancel the attempt to boot from CD, and I was able to select Windows Normal boot from a subsequent menu. I feel really silly!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:05 AM

If you would not mind elaborating on how you solved the problem. I am sure someone else could benefit from your experience.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 vedasisme

vedasisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

well basically there would be a screen after the POST screen where the computer would attempt to boot from the CD drive, and I canceled it with esc. I have to do this every time the computer starts up, so I'm not sure how to stop that, perhaps if I go into the BIOS settings again...

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

I think you are correct that this is a BIOS setting issue, but perhaps not. If you want, please make a copy of your boot.ini file and post it here for me to review.

FIRST
  • Start
  • right click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced tab
  • Startup and Recovery 'Settings'
  • hit the EDIT button
This will open your boot.ini file.

NEXT
Copy the contents.
  • ctrl + A (to select all)
  • ctrl + C (to copy highlighted text)
NEXT

Reply to this thread, and press "ctrl + V" (to paste copied text)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 vedasisme

vedasisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

actually, at this point, my computer had suddenly started powering OFF as soon as Windows XP starts to boot...

and now it's back to the original problem, and I can't cancel it with escape! I'm posting from a different computer at the moment. I don't know what to do!

edit:
I tried a hard-reboot, and then i managed to attempt to start windows again...

only the blue loading bar under the windows XP logo was moving very slowly...i don't know if this means I damaged the hard drive some how?

After a few minutes, the computer self-reboots again and goes back to asking for a CD system disk.

EDIT 2:

Guess what, I turned off the computer for about 5 minutes, and after trying again, the computer boots up fine.

I don't know what's going on at all.

To Albert Frankenstein:

Here is what i found:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edited by vedasisme, 14 July 2007 - 05:46 PM.

#7 vedasisme

vedasisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:47 AM

bump; even if my computer works some of the time, i want it to work 100% of the time.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

Perhaps your computer is overheating? Make sure all your fans are running okay and that any heatsinks are correctly installed. SpeedFan should give you some info on system temps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 vedasisme

vedasisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

In the end, it turns out that my brand of motherboard has 2 primary plugs for a master hard drive.

Apparently, one is more primary than the other. Switching primary plugs for the HDD solved the problem completely.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

You have 2 IDE channel with each having a Master and Slave. The Primary channel should be closest to the floppy port on the motherboard.
It feels nice when it all comes together, does it not? :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for posting your solution it helps us and others in the future. Glad it all worked out :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users