Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Experience Index

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thisistim530

thisistim530

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

I have Windows Vista Business (in the home setting, so I am the admin), on the HP Pavilion dv5230us. My experience index for Gaming Graphics is 3.0, but my number for desktop graphics is 2.6 (which is the lowest of all my scores). I need at least a 3.0 to play Halo 2: Vista. I am wondering, since the gaming graphics are a 3.0, if I would be able to override the block on Playing Halo 2. Thanks in advance!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

AFAIK you can't "fool" the experience rating in Vista. But continue to research this as I suspect others will be looking to do this also. I've been playing Halo 2 for Vista and am not all that impressed by it.

Edited by usasma, 14 July 2007 - 05:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

I had no idea the experience index would actually block programs. I thought it would display a warning or something but still let you play. That said, there must be a way around the score.

3939.png

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

Ah ha -

apparently, you can "fool" your WEI, as it were. WIE = Windows Experience Index.

Try this:

Create a current score by clicking on "update my score" when viewing the Windows Experience Index window, then close the window.

Then open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore

Notice an "XML" file, that was just created when you ran your score?

Open that XML file in Wordpad.

You will notice a series of lines in the <WinSPR> section, about 16 lines down. These show your current score. You can manually edit them, and save the file with the same name.

For example, one of the lines on mine is:

<MemoryScore>5.1</MemoryScore>

So to fake an increase in this score, I could change it to:

<MemoryScore>5.9</MemoryScore>

(Vista's UAC may interfere with this when you try to save this file, so you should temporarily disable it if you choose to try this.)

Don't forget, if you are changing your lowest score, say your GraphicsScore , you should also change your SystemScore, (which is the same as your lowest score), as well, since that is the base score that some programs may check.

Now go back and look at your wiz-bang new score. It will stay this way until you run the performance test again, at which time a new XML file will be created with the proper scores.

It appears that an attempt to install software that requires a higher score will now be fooled into thinking you have a more powerful system than you actually have.

Worth a try, especially if your system is, say, 2.9 and you needed it to be 3.0 to run a program. That little difference may be tolerable to you, but would be a major block to loading the program.

Good luck, and stay safe out there.

Edited by JohnWho, 14 July 2007 - 06:01 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for the tip JohnWho!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

No problem. I somewhat stumbled upon it. I hadn't realized that some programs might not install on a system that didn't meet a specific WIE minimum.

Is there a "Vista Tips" section of the board where we could add this information so others might see it?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users