Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Require Some Assistance With Crap Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kromis

Kromis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

For some reason, whenever the computer is booted up, it gets past the POST screen and when it tries to load Windows XP, the loading bar freezes after awhile and does not load. I can get access to Windows by means of Safe Mode only.

It worked perfectly fine before until the video card died out so I bought a new one. After installing the new one, it wouldn't boot properly anymore.

I know it is not a power supply because I disconnected two CD/DVD drives from the system and it still would not get past the Windows loading screen.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Cheers.

:flowers: :thumbsup: :inlove: :cool: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Do the following in safemode

you can clean out temporary internet files
start/all programs/accessories/system tools/disc clean-up
check all boxes and click ok
confirm yes

run disc defragmenter

start/all programs/accessories/system tools/disc defragmenter

Defragment the hard drive

When your in SAFEMODE
click my computer
right click C:drive
properties
tools
Check now
check both boxes
click start
check disc cannot run another volume is being used
just restart your computer

if windows start normally then we can do some other fixes there

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

Go into Safe Mode and remove your video drivers. See if it starts then. If it does you may have bad or corrupted drivers. Download new drivers for the chip maker's site not the maker of the card. If it is an nVidia, got the Nvidia site. If ATI go to the ATI site. If it is a Bob' video with an nVidia chipset stay away from Bob's drivers. No telling what good old Bob has added to the driver pack.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users