Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes And Can't Update Sp2

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 basaatw

basaatw

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:09 PM

hi

I may have made a big error in earsing some import DLL files and the computor is unable to run a complete download or upload before it freezes. anytime I go to the Microsoft update site and try to install SP2 it freezes. some DLL files maybe missing is what I think. Please give some guidance.

basaatw

thanks ahead of time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Do you have the original windows XP cd?

If you do, click {Start}, {Run}, type in "SFC /SCANNOW" (less quotes) and then tap the enter key. Put your XP cd in just in case, as the system file check utility may need this.

Use this link to download Service Pack 2 for Windows™ XP
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

the computer came with Xp intalled. I have 2 different copies of Xp but it will not except the copies.

and ideaS. I will not go past the Run ---> "SFC /SCANNOW" then it askes for the correct Cd which i DON'T HAVE

BASAATW

TAOT

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

since the computer came with xp installed, contact whoever you bought it from and get the right cd, if you are using a legal version of xp, they are required to furnish you one, if not then it's going to be hard to find help in any legitimate newsgroup
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

hi and thanks for your help

Bought the computor in aroind 2001-2002 online don't think I can fig out who from. I can only assume I have a legal ver but who knows. will look for reciept in AM but I think its been too long and I'm not going to get any where with it . can you think of any work around this issue.

TAOT

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:49 AM

well after you positively identify the flavor of which exact version of xp you have installed(this is a real can of worms) and then retrieve the eula liscense number from the install, you could try to get the right cd to repair with

back when sp1 came out and I was slipstreaming it into my xp cab files I found out the cabs were the same for all these
versions but the cd was named differently

pro and home have slightly different sets of cab files
Chewy

#7 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

ok Da Chew

here it is. I ran winver in the run panel and got this!! Let me know if this help.

Version 5.1 (build 2600xpsp2.050301-1526 Service Pack1

TAOT

basaatw

#8 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

Yo…………… FYI

I have location lead on the vendor that sold me the computer it’s PC Xpert Inc. I Googled them they seem to be small, maybe one man operation located in Cleveland, Ohio. There is also many other Pc Xpert types list in the Google search lots from UK. Anyone else have a lead on who these guys are

TAOT

PS-Prophet (basaatw)

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

http://microsoft-personal-operating-system.../2/Default.aspx

It took a while to find this map, I told you it was a can of worms
Chewy

#10 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

yo Chewy

My Man, look here, I'm a little knowelegible on computer real geek stuff so you have to go slow on some of this major geek stuff What should I do with that map page you send me and how will it progress to my solution.

TAOT tons

I see your on the scent now lets take it in for a touchdown!!!

BS-Prophet

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

use that map and all the clues to find out what version of windows you have installed and what cd you need

personally I would extract my eula key numbers/letters from the install and create a repair disk
or call microsoft
Chewy

#12 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Yo Chewy
I appreacate the help tons

1# I have recovered the EULA key #

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder said I can change the key in my register, it directs me to microsoft web page

How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP

there I read this warning

Warning The steps in the article are effective only on Volume License media. If you try these steps on OEM media or on retail media, you will not change the product key.

question how do I tell if I have OEM media before I go throurgh all the work.

#2 are you talking about making a floppy repair disk or a CD repair disk thanks I don't have rdisk.exe o this machine. any thoughts

the BS-Prophet

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

keep that key in a safe place, you should have received a certificate of authenticity with the key on it, builders are sometimes slack with this requirement

since you don't have any other key you don't want to change it

find out what version of the OS you are running from the clues I linked to, one of the clues was oem in the numbers in the registry

to make a repair disk you need cab files from the same version of xp you are running and then slipstream sp2 into them and burn a cd

this a big project and an advanced technique

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116056

or fork out the 90$ and buy the oem version which you should have gotten with your computer, if you have pro installed then you would need to spend more

with all the problems with vista I think legal copies of xp are a good investment

Edited by DaChew, 14 July 2007 - 01:54 PM.

Chewy

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

There should be a sticker on the computer itself if it is OEM it should have a product key that matches the one that you found using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder .

Further info:

go to Start, r click my computer, click properties, There should be all the information that you need (system, registered to, computer)

there is a number that looks like this: 55274-123-1234567-54321. if the middle three have 64X, x=0 through 9, it may not be a valid windows. you will need to run WGA validation then. Here is the download for the Wga Validation Tool
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Yo Da Chewy

you said since you don't have any other key you don't want to change it

but I do have 2 other copies of XP with the legal keys included, does that help us.

90 large is no problem but what fun is that. Hope you understand this is a learning game, and I may say I have already learned lots from our exchanges already. thanks again.

Let me know please!, your a good friend indeed.

The BS-Prophet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users