Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Format A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skyline_2k7

skyline_2k7

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

hi i was wondering how do you format a harddrive but i have one problem, my dvd drive wont work and i have the WINDOWS cd but i cant get my dvd or cd drives to work, they show up in the bios but in XP they dissapeared.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 imi

imi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hi skyline_2k7

You don't say if everything else is working, a better description will enable people here to give a clearer answer.

Does your Bios boot from CD-ROM?
If it does then place your Windows cd in the drive to see if it will in fact boot from it. If it doesn't then it may not be XP but something else.

Do you have a foppy drive present on your system?
If you do then you could use a boot disk from a operating system like WIn98 or WinME. These will normally install the CD drive from this bootable floppy.

Failing either of the above there are boot images that can be installed onto a USB pen drive.

Hope this helps

#3 imi

imi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hi Again

I just read your other post about your DVD/CD-rom is this FULLY functioning now?

This will also affect our responses.

#4 skyline_2k7

skyline_2k7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

actually that was a mistake it doesnt work, i have no floppy drive but my BIOS detects that i have a CD-DVD rom but it doesnt say "BOOT FROM CD"

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

In Bios, did you did you change your boot device order?
If not, try making cd drive the first boot device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users