Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Vista Have Ms Word?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Having just bought a new Laptop that came with Vista installed, I'm struggling to orientate myself, as am so used to XP.

I can't find MS Word, only Microsoft Works Word Processor which I hate. I can't find all the usual options in normal word, such as viewing the page in full etc instead of just the way it is in the below screenshot. Also, where as the "Clipboard" gone? Usually, it's under EDIT ..??

Am I just being really thick and missing the obvious ..??

Also, I wan't to view my START menu like it was in XP, ie, you click on start, and the programs lists on the right, with the option of viewing each sub-folder. All I can get with Vista is that is simply opens like with XP, but that's all, (am i making any sense??)

Any help with this and Vista would be great. Thanks to all.. :huh:

Posted Image

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

Windows Vista does not include MS Word.

However, to be accurate, neither did Windows XP.

You may have gotten Word bundled with a new PC, just as you now say you got Works.

If you really want to do it, you can "right click" on the Vista "start" icon,

and select "properties" from the list.

Then, under the "start menu" tab, select the "Classic Start Menu" radio button.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

From what I understand the new versions of Works does not include Word like the old version does. Instead it has its own word processor. It can, though, save documents that are compatible with word.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

There have been several versions of works, none of which include MS Word. There is a software package released by M$ called Works Suite, which has word, money, works, encarta, etc., depending on the package.

Since M$ released Office 2007, Home/Student, Works suite no longer seems to have MS word.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

I see that - MS Works 8 - does not include MS Word like some of the previous versions of the suite did.

While not exactly Word, nat, you might try the free Open Office suite. It's Word processor is roughly equivalent to Word.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:09 AM

I have vista ultimate and it has a trial version of microsoft office. There's an icon on the desktop.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

Trial versions often expire or are limited. I suggest either getting Office 2007 or downloading OpenOffice. The only thing about OpenOffice that I didn't like when I got it was the margins, they're set at .75 by default but Word has them at 1.0. It's a simple adjustment, but if you're a student, professors will notice such things....

3939.png

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:25 AM

While not exactly Word, nat, you might try the free Open Office suite. It's Word processor is roughly equivalent to Word.

I would recommend this too. I've used it pretty extensively and the only non-compatible issue I found was with Word's "notes". Other than that, worked great. :huh:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#9 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Trial versions often expire or are limited. I suggest either getting Office 2007 or downloading OpenOffice. The only thing about OpenOffice that I didn't like when I got it was the margins, they're set at .75 by default but Word has them at 1.0. It's a simple adjustment, but if you're a student, professors will notice such things....

were is the setting to change the margins I couldnt find it this package is great!

#10 Cooltruth

Cooltruth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Your Windows XP computer must have come with Microsoft Office or Word installed as one of the 'extras' that some PC companies include as a 'benefit' of choosing their brand over others. You have to get your word program separate by either getting Office 2007, Word, Word Perfect or Open Office to install on your PC. There's a 'Word Pad' on Windows Vista (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Word Pad) if that will work for whatever you're using it for.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

Just as an aside, those "extra" programs also serve a purpose. Their "advertising" helps to subsidize the cost of the computer (they're paying to have their stuff included on your system) - so you'll pay less because of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users