Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are You Frustated By "support" Like Me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geordie71

geordie71

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi there fellow sufferers.

I can find a lot of data on the www to say that people are having trouble with appsvc32.exe hogging their machines. Everyone points at Norton so you would think that the Symantec people would put something on their support site to give us all a clue. No such luck, they are hiding away so I guess it must be too hard for them. This is not a request for help, though I may do that in a later post. This is just an introduction on why I am here. So:

General Gripe 1: Support sites tell you the entirely obvious and offer little help with real world problems. I wish I had $5 for every time I get told to "Delete my internet history", "Defrag my disk", "restart my computer", "delete all my cookies (including the useful ones that I like", "check for the latest updates"
General Gripe 2: Forums fill up with people who can't be bothered to look at what is already out there - you probably think that applies to me!
General Gripe 3: Providing feedback to support sites is like teaching a pig to dance - unlikely to have any effect other than to annoy the pig (guess who the pig is in this analogy)

Anway that's enough - I have to try something called bleeping computer to see if life can get better.

Specific Gripe 1: Vista is a dog - It killed a brand new machine, that came with it loaded by default, a michine which would have been thoroughly adequate under XP, and yet it offered nothing that anyone actually wanted when they bought it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

Hello, geordie71.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.
If you have any questions about how to use this site, this forum will probably answer them.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hi geordie71,

Welcome to BleepingComputer!

General Gripe 1: Support sites tell you the entirely obvious and offer little help with real world problems. I wish I had $5 for every time I get told to "Delete my internet history", "Defrag my disk", "restart my computer", "delete all my cookies (including the useful ones that I like", "check for the latest updates"

This may not apply to you, but there are many who would never try these things.

General Gripe 2: Forums fill up with people who can't be bothered to look at what is already out there - you probably think that applies to me!

Make you a deal :thumbsup: If you find this to be true here, I will wash your car. (Within reason now... :trumpet: )Some parts of our forums, like HJT, are very busy - fact of life on any forum. Besides that, I feel confident you will never see that happening here.

I love to watch dancing pigs :flowers:

geordie, I agree. Tech Support can be a royal PITA. Your frustration has been felt by everyone here. I had a run in with a camera company that took the consumer advocacy office for South Carolina to straighten out. Big Mess.

I hope you have a good experience with us. I dare say most members enjoy their experience here. You can't please em all, but we do a great job with most.

Take care,
rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hey geordie71 - :thumbsup: to the board.

You got us on that one - Dancing Pig.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

:flowers: to bleeping computer, geordie71. Dancing Pig :thumbsup: makes me think of "Arnold"
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

Most manufacturer's help sites generally keep to offering the standard and basic instructions (FAQ) just because these are the most often the problem. And when you attempt to get individual help, the helper follows an instruction script and has very little practical and hands-on experience with the software or hardware in question.
Fortunately, there are a few sites like BC where you can find experienced people who will, and for nothing, try to help others with problems they may already have solved. Even then, unless the person has provided a brief note about what they have already done (and that it has not solved the problem), one may get a basic checklist (for the same reason that FAQs exist) at the beginning, but then more specific solutions generally appear.
Welcome to this friendly user community!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users