Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Problem With Ie And Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davexx1

Davexx1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

Not exactly sure how to describe my problem but essentially one day when we booted up, started IE, and it went to the normal RoadRunner home page, we suddenly got a RR page up that said we need to upgrade Flash Player. There was a button tab there to download the new version of FP. I did, the download started, but never finished. I repeated the process, still would not complete.

I backed out, closed RR, killed my ZA firewall, etc. went to the Adobe download site, and attempted to download new version of FP again. Same result.

I downloaded the FP un-installer tool, un-installed FP, went back to the download site, attempted to download FP again, same result. Went thru this scenario several times with same result so I am not sure if I have the upgraded version of FP or not. If I go to my control panel, add/remove programs, I see Adobe Flash Player Active X listed there but there is no bytes or file size listed.

Now, anytime I start IE, the page pops ups saying I need to upgrade FP. I am not sure if my problem is with IE, FP, or other but suspect it is a problem with IE.

My wife's remote access to her company network suddenly would not work. Not sure if that issue is related to the IE/FP issue or not, but it all occurred at the same time.

I downloaded FireFox and have been using it as my brouser. All websight pages I go to display fine. I have run Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, etc. and the computer appears to be clean.

The computer is a several year Dell Dimension 8250 desk top running Win XP home Edition, Win SP1, etc.

I don't know what else to do. :thumbsup: If you can help with this issue, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 July 2007 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

Run windows update to get all the current ones, including Service Pack 2. Let us know if the problem exists after that is done

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

Dave if you have all the updates as tyler suggests and the problem still persists, then from first hand experience i can tell you the issue relates soley with IE.

I had your problem to the letter ! The only way out (am using IE6 here) was to uninstall IE and re-install, but a thought for you to ponder. Whilst i have only ever used alternative browsers for short periods if you like firefox then keep it as your default browser, other members here may correct me but essentially you only need IE for Windows Update so don't be afraid to send IE to the back burner in favour of an alternate browser.

good luck ! ;)
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#4 Davexx1

Davexx1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

We did not upgrade to SP2 because we were/are running close on resources and the fact that I kept hearing of many users having much trouble and many issues after installing SP2.

I read on the MS IE repair websight where IE is an essential piece of the MS Windows system so it appears it cannot be removed. What we have done is to install Firefox and just avoid IE all together. This has and will work, but I don't like knowing there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

How do I determine how much resources I have available, how much does SP2 require, etc?

If I download SP2, am I likely to have all of the troubles people had back then when they installed SP2? If so, I would be hesitant to do so.

Davexx1

#5 Davexx1

Davexx1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

With my Firefox browser open, I can download the latest version of Flash Player and all web site pages displays fine with no issues or problems.

If I close FF and open Internet Explorer and go to a website page, I immediately get a pop up page that says I need to upgrade the latest version of Flash Player or the flash content on the website page does not display. If I try to download FP with IE, it fails everytime so it appears my problem is with IE and FP.

Dave

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi Davexx1,

We did not upgrade to SP2 because we were/are running close on resources and the fact that I kept hearing of many users having much trouble and many issues after installing SP2.

Have a look at Installing Service Pack 2 (SP2), It's all about security improvements, and is one of the most important service packs ever released.

This site may be helpful as well: Get Your PC Ready for Windows XP SP2.

To install the service pack, your PC must meet the following minimum requirements:

* 233 megahertz (MHz) processor
* 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM
* 1.8 GB of available hard disk space during installation

Using SP1 could be the reason why Flash player cannot update.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users