Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

I use Firefox for normal browsing and only IE for Windows Critical Updates.

I went to the Windows Update link in my start menu to check to see what Critical Updates there were for this month, and for some reason, the whole process was different. The Windows Update site prompted me to install some kind of ActiveX control (but said to make sure it was from Microsoft before doing so, although there was no way to verify this).

So I clicked at the yellow warning bar at the top where it said to "click here to install" -- then, eventually, a box popped up telling me I needed to install something called Microsoft Windows Component Publisher (I think). So since this was all stuff I'd never seen before when doing Windows Updates, I canceled out of that and then started from scratch. Then it asked me to allow the ActiveX thing to be installed again (although I had allowed that the first time).

So what's the scoop here? Is this an entirely new process to get Windows Updates? Do I just allow all this stuff to install? What is it all?

And do you have to do this every time?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 motherboard

motherboard

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

It's Probably Just an update to the windows update program itself. Let the ActiveX install and it should get back to normal.
You should only have to do this once.

Edited by motherboard, 13 July 2007 - 03:25 PM.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

The only thing that windows update just added is a new version of WGA validation. This windows box did not prompt to install an active x control, and did not try to install

something called Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

If you could get the KB number, I could research further, as nothing by that name matches anything that I have. Do you have M$ office on this machine? I am guessing that it may have something to do with office.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

I got that new version of WGA last month (and had to install to proceed), so this isn't that.

Is it possible that the site address itself has changed? Right now, I've got these listed in my Trusted Sites, with the setting to Medium:

http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

Otherwise, I have the settings for Internet set at High. So maybe it's using the High settings instead of the Medium settings for one of these sites?

(Well, I just tried setting my Internet to Medium in IE and just going to the update site, but same thing, so that's not it...)

There is no KB number associated with that Microsoft Windows Component Publisher that I saw. It was a pop-up box, and it said I needed to install it. I can't even get back to that point unless I allow the ActiveX thing to install again. Actually, that's not the name of the program, that's the publisher...
-----------------------------------------------
Okay, I just went and did it again. I got a yellow bar pop up a the top about an ActiveX thing wanting to install from Microsoft. When I click on it, it gives me a drop down menu and I chose "install" (otherwise I can't proceed).

What happens next is a box pops up with:

Internet Explorer Security Warning
Do you want to install this software?
Name: Windows Update
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

Then I have to choose install or don't install. I have not installed this yet, as I have never seen this before today (so this is the thing I was asking about, along with having to allow that ActiveX thing prior to this coming up).

If I wait too long, the Update site will change to a screen that says it can't load the page I'm trying to view because of error 0x8DDD0004 -- but I'm almost positive this is just because I didn't install the above program and it got tired of waiting to acts like I chose "Don't install" (because that's what happened last time I chose "Don't Install").

So is this just another new version of Windows Update that I have to install for some reason? And it just looks different than it usually does? I just installed a new version last month with that new WGA thing, I thought...

Let me know -- thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 July 2007 - 04:50 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

See if you can run windows update in the CUSTOM mode, then you should be able to get the KB number if it is a M$ update. Also, try this Support Article at M$

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

See if you can run windows update in the CUSTOM mode, then you should be able to get the KB number if it is a M$ update. Also, try this Support Article at M$

I think you misunderstand... that error comes up because I'm not installing the Windows Update thing it wants me to install. So I don't think that article has any bearing (unless I continue to get that error after installing the Windows Update thing -- if I need to).

Not sure what Custom mode is... I thought that's how I always do Windows update.

I just click in the Windows Update link in Start > All Programs, it opens the window in IE, it scans to see if I have the latest Windows Update stuff, then usually I get my list of updates. But this time, I got that ActiveX warning, had to choose allow it install from the drop down menu that popped up, it scanned some more, then it prompted me to install that thing via the pop-up box that states:

Internet Explorer Security Warning
Do you want to install this software?
Name: Windows Update
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

This box also has "more options" which you can choose to always allow things from this site, only allow this one time, or always prompt, etc.

The words "Windows Update" is a link as well, which only takes you to the Windows Update page (so that's kind of a loop).
The words "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher" is a link that opens up a box that shows you a certificate for Microsoft.

You have to choose "install" or "don't install".

If you choose no, then you get that error message (which, I guess, makes sense). So do I choose yes?

Are you saying that this isn't normal then?

It seems to me that it's prompting me to update Windows Update (yet again), but in a way that I've never seen before (meaning, the format that it's presenting the update).

Thoughts?

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 July 2007 - 05:09 PM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Not Normal. when I first run windows update I get this at the beginning:

Welcome to windows Update

{EXPRESS}

{CUSTOM}

I have never received the list or scanned until I click on one of these buttons. All remote machine does is verify that my version of windows update is correct.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

Not Normal. when I first run windows update I get this at the beginning:

Welcome to windows Update

{EXPRESS}

{CUSTOM}

I have never received the list or scanned until I click on one of these buttons. All remote machine does is verify that my version of windows update is correct.

Well, that's what I normally get too. Last time, I had to install the WGA update before I got to that screen. But it was presented like a regular update with a KB number. This time, it's asking me to install this Windows Update thing...

So what do I do?

I'm at the Windows Update site (as far as I know) and the certificate for this thing that opens up when you click on "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher" shows it as being for Microsoft.

Anybody else get this thing this time around...?

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Make sure that your hosts file has not been re directed: hosts file is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (hosts)
you may have to enable viewing of system/hidden files, and there may be more that one hosts file.

Can you try to load windows update in firefox?, I know it should give you this message.

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

If you get this message, you should be ok to install.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Make sure that your hosts file has not been re directed: hosts file is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (hosts)
you may have to enable viewing of system/hidden files, and there may be more that one hosts file.

I don't think I really use a Hosts file. This is what's in the file called "hosts":

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

There is also a file called lmshosts.sam, but I can't open it (a google search shows that this is just a template file, I guess?).

I did not have to turn on "show hidden files/folders" to find this file. But I did not actually search my computer for another hosts file. Do I need to?

Can you try to load windows update in firefox?, I know it should give you this message.

If I go to Windows Update site in Firefox, I get that message, but that's not how I get to Windows Update normally. I can't do it in Firefox the way I do it normally, because usually I go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > WINDOWS UPDATE (at the top) and that opens IE 6.5 and goes to the Windows Update site. Apparently, what that does is, it runs %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe (this is what shows if I do Properties on that Windows Update link in the ALL PROGRAMS menu) -- and I guess that is the program that runs the Windows Update Manager, which opens the site for me.

Here are some screen caps of what's going on:

When Windows Update first comes up now, I get that warning at the top about installing the Windows Update ActiveX -- you can see the menu that pops up when I click up there here:
Posted Image

I have to click Install ActiveX Control to proceed... But I don't think it's actually installing it at that point, it's just calling up this, which is what comes up next:
Posted Image

And I think this is where you actually install the ActiveX thing...

I'm starting to get the feeling that this was all a big waste and that it's just normal and it's asking me to install a new/updated ActiveX for Windows Update. Odd that this hasn't come up for anybody else though...

Any more thoughts...? Thanks!

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Since I have internet explored set to high security, I have set all windows update in the trusted zone. i also checked the always install, since the only thing I use is windows updates.

On the LMHosts file, that only gets used if there is an older LanManager server on the network.

You have the M$ standard, not used file looks ok.

the only other hosts file that sometimes shows up is the hosts.ics, which is created when internet connection sharing is turned on.

Do the update, everything looks ok.

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

It worked fine... Now I have to figure out if I want to try to install this .NET Framework thing... :thumbsup:

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

.NET framework is only needed if you have software requiring it for the runtime portion, example would be ATI video card drivers, all their drivers now require that the .NET framework be installed.

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

.NET framework is only needed if you have software requiring it for the runtime portion, example would be ATI video card drivers, all their drivers now require that the .NET framework be installed.

Well, I just installed the update for it from Windows Update (as I was told elsewhere that I had it automatically on my system and therefore needed the update).

No problems/issues with installing this update though, as far as I can tell. So that's something! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users