Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Hangs At 99% Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TJJunior

TJJunior

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,

I've been using Outlook 2003 on Win XP Pro for roughly a year with no problems. Over the last couple of months, I've seen a problem happen occasionally and now it's happening regularly. When I type a new email message or reply to an existing one, my CPU usage goes to 99% (based on the Windows Task Manager) for outlook.exe and remains there for anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute. It eventually returns to normal, but then as soon as I start typing again in the email it jumps back up. It's not specific to a particular message, happens on a regular basis for all sorts of emails. When I close Outlook and then restart it, sometimes I'm able to use it and sometimes not.

Googling found some listings for this happening on Outlook Express but rarely Outlook. I've tried removing all add-ins and even ran it in safe mode (via Run -> outlook /safe), it still happened. Tried to remove as many other background programs as possible (I run an apache server off my machine for testing web development work, so I turned that all off). I've done the basics of running AdAware and Spybot (which I do on a regular basis anyways), Windows XP has all of its updates, virus checker is current, firewall in place etc etc. I've turned indexing off. I can watch Task Manager and it will show System Idle at 95%-99%. Then I start typing in the email and outlook.exe immediately jumps to 99%.

Computer should be ok on specs I'd think, a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with 1 gig RAM and 10 gigs of free space. The .pst files are at most 400 meg. I tried creating a new profile in Outlook and had the same problem soon thereafter.

My gut feel is that it's a program incompatibility rather than a virus, but at this point I've tried just about everything I know how to. I have McAfee Security Center running, I've tried to shut that down to see if it's causing it but I've not been able to figure out how to shut it down completely (even tried stopping the mcshield.exe process and that didn't seem to stop it). Should I go the hijackthis log route?

Thanks,

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

See this link for some suggestions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

Unfortunately I've tried all of those methods, with no success. The only thing that seems to work is to use RTF format for emails rather than HTML. Not ideal, but better than having it hang during every email.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

That is your problem...you should be using Rich Text anyway.

#5 lavallie

lavallie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Rich Text is not the issue. I would update and do a repair using the help menu. Then see what happens.

#6 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

One thing that does spring to mind

I have McAfee Security Center running

How do you connect to the Internet and does that method have its own built-in antivirus protection?

Also; have you tried turning OFF Automatic Updates to see if THAT makes any aprpeciable difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users