Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure (https) Pages Loading Very Sloooow... Why?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

My particulars:
Firefox 2.0.0.4
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Outlook Express
Dial-up on a laptop
*Not* on a network and no router (laptop plugged into phone jack for dial-up)

My Firefox is set to *not* allow cookies (though I have exceptions for sites like bleepingcomputer.com, and the library, etc.). I also block pop-ups in Firefox settings. I use Firefox for all web browsing.

I only use IE for Windows Update. In IE, I have it set to high security for internet, intranet, medium for trusted sites (which is Windows Update) and Restricted Sites is set to the default custom level (which deny/prompts everything). None of that probably matters, since I use Firefox for browsing, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I honestly don't remember if it's been like this all the time, but at least semi-lately (last couple months), I've noticed that when I'm connecting to a secure webpage (like the library logon or Amazon.com logon, etc.), it takes a REALLY long time for the page to come up. Sometimes a minute or more it seems like. I know secure sites take longer to load (especially on dial-up, right?), but that seems really really long...

Any thoughts as to why this would be...?

(I suppose it's possible a setting in Windows could have been changed by me that would cause this...? But I have no idea what that could be...)

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:

Edit/clarification: It's usually the first page that takes so long to load up. Meaning, if I go to the logon page of the library, it takes almost a minute to load up, but once I log in, it *seems* to go a little quicker navigating between pages, even though they're still https pages...

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 July 2007 - 11:30 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Have you deleted the temp internet files and cookies? How to Delete the Contents of the Temporary Internet Files Folder
Also try clearing your Resolver Cache. The resolver cache is like you telephone book at home. Sometimes the numbers change and you have to throw out the old book and get a new one. The long wait may be the computer running through the old numbers before going online to the DNS server to refresh.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Have you deleted the temp internet files and cookies? How to Delete the Contents of the Temporary Internet Files Folder
Also try clearing your Resolver Cache. The resolver cache is like you telephone book at home. Sometimes the numbers change and you have to throw out the old book and get a new one. The long wait may be the computer running through the old numbers before going online to the DNS server to refresh.

I've done the first thing, though I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with Firefox...?

Concerning the flushing of the resolver cache, is that safe to do? Can doing so cause any problems? And is there a way to look at the cache's contents before flushing it...?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Concerning the flushing of the resolver cache, is that safe to do? Can doing so cause any problems? And is there a way to look at the cache's contents before flushing it...?

Yes it is safe.
It can only help your computer. It is like the caching of internet files. Windows looks there first, and if it does not find what it needs it goes to the source for the lastest DNS information.
I am not aware of a way to review the cached DNS enters.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi again,

I went ahead and did that, and it might have helped a bit. The library secure web page takes about 30 seconds to come up on dial-up. Does that sound normal for a secure web page on dial-up? It's about the same for all secure web pages... But I notice that when I go back to the web page, it comes up in about 15-20 seconds. So maybe it did help...? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 July 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

What security software are you running? Active scan software like AVG, Avast, Spybot, may slow your downloads a little, while scanning the downloads.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

What security software are you running? Active scan software like AVG, Avast, Spybot, may slow your downloads a little, while scanning the downloads.

I have AVG Free 7.5 and Spybot (though I use Firefox, not IE for web browsing, so even though I have the SDHelper turned on it Spybot, I don't think that really effects Firefox, right?).

Nothing else really, just ZoneAlarm Free as my firewall.

Also note, when it is taking a loooong time, it says down in the bottom left of the window in Firefox "waiting for xxxxx" with the x's being either the library website or the earthlink webmail site, etc. And I just tried going to the Earthlink webmail site, and it wouldn't even load. So I went back to it again, and it finally loaded. And I went back again, and it loaded fairly fast. So maybe now that I flushed the IPs or whatever, the first time takes a long time, but then going back is faster...? Is that normal...?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 19 July 2007 - 11:48 AM.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

acklan, are you still with me? :thumbsup:

Even though after doing that flush, it went back to being as slow as it was before doing it after like a day or something.

I posted more info above (as well as answered your question).

Looking forward to hearing back -- thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 01 August 2007 - 10:05 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hey I am sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been out of ton with no access to a computer. Just got caught up on my emails.

Try disabling ZA and see if it helps. I have not used ZA in years ut if i remember it was always heavy on bandwidth abuse. If it works you may need to go with a lighter firewall.
BTW do you have Windows firewall running? If yes disable it first. If no difference then disable ZA also.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

Hey, no sweat on the delay -- I appreciate the help!

I don't have Windows Firewall running, as you're not supposed to run that at the same time as ZoneAlarm.

I'm going to be getting a new/replacement laptop, and I'll be installing the last version of ZA 6.5.737 (much smaller program) instead of Version 7 (which is huge and comes with all the paid stuff, just turned off). If it doesn't make any difference on the new laptop, I'll try connecting with ZA turned off (though isn't that unsafe? -- but maybe not as much with just dial-up?).

Thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users