Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pcu Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 welshpilot

welshpilot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hello all
i purchsed a second hand 3.06 pentium 4 on e bay in order to upgrade my 2.4 , it duly arived and i fitted it together with a new heatsink and fan , however upon booting up all i get is a wee woaa sound from the p.c and no display .
I have upon advice updated the Bios using the Asus updater but nothig changes , acording to the motherboard manual it supports up to 3.06+gch, When i refit the 2.4 psu everything is fine
i have made sure it is a compatibl pcu and would be gratefull for any advice or coments
thanking you in advance
Bryan
HERE ARE THE LINKS TO THE MANUAL AND WHAT I PURCHSED ON E BAY

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190124306378&rd=1&rd=1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Sorry if it seems I am stating the obvious, but that kinda sounds like my computer does when the cpu is overheating, are you sure the new fan is plugged in and running? I've put cpu's that were faster than rated for the motherboard and the chip only ran at the mobo max speed allowed. I could not get your link to work, I think that's my computer, not your link. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

download everest home free edition, install and run

under computer run the overclock

at the top under report, use quick report/overclock/plain text

copy and paste the following part

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 08/04/2004-nVidia-nForce-A7N8X2.0C-00
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394)

and this part

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 08/04/04
Video BIOS Date 03/03/28
Award BIOS Type Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008
DMI BIOS Version ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008

there may be a relatively easy fix if your bios is out of date
and the asus updater didn't work????????

Edited by DaChew, 13 July 2007 - 11:53 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi Da Chew
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Done as instructed , the details are belpw , these are of course the setting as they are under the original 2.4 cpu
thank you again
Bryan

Motherboard Properties: Motherboard ID 08/13/2003-SiS648/SIS963/W697-P4S8X-X Motherboard Name Asus P4S8X-X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
BIOS Properties: System BIOS Date 08/13/03 Video BIOS Date 03/06/06 Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.0 Award BIOS Message ASUS P4S8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 DMI BIOS Version ASUS P4S8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

1. the new cpu is fried
2. slim possibility that asus is wrong and you need one of the 2 newer bios's for that cpu(maybe a newer stepping than when the board was released)
3. bios is set to manual instead of auto for cpu setting

I have looked at cpu support pages and manual

I would bet on 1 myself but might check bios settings and even flash to newer bios manually
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users