Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Script To Print...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

We are scanning all documents into an image database (going paperless.)

When you scan a document or batch of documents, it stores it on the screen of the program you are working on. In this case it is called Cannon Capture or something like that. Anyway, the next step is to hit the print button in order to utilize the imaging driver that attaches the images to our database.

Does anyone know how to write, or know of a script that can, as soon as the document or batch is scanned, have it print to that imaging driver?

Thank you kindly for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Ok, let's try this reply again.

You are not going to be able to do it with a batch file. In order for the batch file to know if the image is done being scanned, it would actually have to hook into the imaging software to catch whatever call indicates that a file is done. If there is no public interface into the scanning software, then it would require low level programming, plus trial and error to catch the system call. And then the batch file would have to hook into the scanning software to click the print button. Again, that is way above the capabilities of a simple batch file.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

I was referring to a "batch" of documents. I believe this would have to be done with a VBS script or something.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Ok, my bad. I misread, but the answer is still the same. Unless there is a public interface to the application, you still have to hack the app to try and figure out the system call that indicates that a document is done being scanned. It would probably be much easier to patch the program.

But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the firat time in the last ten minutes. :thumbsup: From the little bit of research that I have done, I can't find anything that indicates that there is a public interface.

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the help groovicus, I had the same thoughts....

Let me add this though...there is a button that is pushed (in the application) that tells the scanner that there are no more documents to scan.

Does the button push make any difference?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

It depends on how it was programmed. If it is disabled until the document is done, then if you could hook into the application, you could possibly poll the button to see if it is enabled. If it is enabled at all times, then that wouldn't do you any good. The software appears to be closed source, so I am highly doubtful that you are going to be able to hook into it, although I am sure it would probably save you lots of time. :thumbsup:

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users