Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 goodkids3

goodkids3

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

:thumbsup: Hi all! I am not extremely computer savvy, so please be extremely explicit in your instructions if you can help, listing each step for me!! Thanks!! This is the deal:

About a week ago, I started working with SifuMike at the Hijackthis log area....I had two accts. on my computer that could not connect to the internet...he helped me YEAH!!! and now they are working, but since fixing that, ONE of my laptops will not connect to the internet!
A few days ago, it showed an excellent connection to the wireless network in the morning, but still didn't work. By evening, it said "limited or no connectivity" "you might not be able to access the internet." "The problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer." It showed a button to have windows repair, but that didn't work, saying "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed- renewing your IP address"......I told all this to SifuMike, who suggested I try going to start then run, type cmd then type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew then ipconfig /flushdns ..did that, and got
"no operation can be performed on local area connection while it has it's media disconnected. An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection: unable to contact your DHCP server."

He suggested coming to this forum to see if anyone could help. SO, that is where I stand....I had the geeksquad at Best Buy set up my wireless router (netgear-rangemax wireless router) and my wireless network, so I don't know a whole lot of anything...I have cable internet, and I remember them saying something about setting it up to an ethernet something? Don't know if you need to know that, but thought I'd say it in case it helps...I have my network settings that he printed out for me, including my SSID, WEP and password. Don't know what those initials stand for, but I know that they're important! I do have another laptop connected to the same network and it IS working. ANY help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, as this laptop is the computer that I use most! I"m lost being tethered to the desktop and fighting my kids to use it!! THANKS! Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi goodkids3

Suggest you use the free trial version of network magic and install it on all your computers. It appears to work very well.

http://networkmagic.com/

If it does the trick, you can then make a note of all the settings. Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Most likely you do not have the the WEP key entered into your wireless network properties.
If this computer is running XP, here are the instructions on how to input the key: http://help.isu.edu/index.php?action=knowl...=849;sec_id=104

I think the SSID ought to show up automatically.
Posted Image

#4 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

ARCMAN,

I tried that, and it didn't work. It is now showing that I am connected to the network, but it's still not working...sometimes it shows the "limited or no connectivity" and sometimes it shows connected with excellent signal strength....doesn't work when it's showing either message. I didn't do anything to this laptop computer, why would it all of a sudden not work with the wireless network, when another computer is working fine? I'm confused!!!!! Anyone else have any other suggestions? I don't know about downloading that network magic thing. The link doesn't work, and it doesn't show anything when I try to google networkmagic, either. Lori

#5 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

OK, now I got to the networkmagic website, but I'm leery about downloading something and doing something to my desktop, when it's the laptop that suddenly isn't doing something right. I'm afraid if I do changes on the desktop, the OTHER laptop might stop working too!! (I have two laptops connected, and only one has suddenly not been able to get the internet through the wireless network.) Thanks! Lori

#6 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

It has consistenly been showing that I am connected to my wireless network with excellent signal strength. When I click connection details, it shows physcial address, IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DHCP Server, when the lease was obtained, when it expires, and the DNS Server. It shows no WINS server. Does that mean anything?

It has consistenly been showing that I am connected to my wireless network with excellent signal strength. When I click connection details, it shows physcial address, IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DHCP Server, when the lease was obtained, when it expires, and the DNS Server. It shows no WINS server. Does that mean anything?

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

What are the values for the IP address and the Default Gateway?
Posted Image

#8 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

IP address : 192.168.1.4

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

That looks an awful lot like you're connected properly.
If you open a web page, what happens?
Posted Image

#10 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

I click on internet explorer, and it has my homepage address in the bar, cox.net, but above that, the title for the window says
"Cannot find server-microsoft Internet explorer" The error message in the window says the page cannot be displayed. Doesn't make sense to me.

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Try this next. Make sure your wireless connection is still active and you have the same 192.x.x.x IP address.
Go to Start > Run > type in CMD and in the new window type in: ping 192.168.1.1
That's the address of your router.
If you get 4 successful replies, enter in 192.168.1.1 into your web browser and confirm that your web browser can communicate with your router configuration page, which you can verify if a password dialog or configuration page comes up with that address in your browser.

If that works, go back to the CMD window and enter in: ping google.com
and tell us what happens. Also, try the command: ping 72.14.207.99
If the numeric address is successful, try putting that number into your web browser.
Posted Image

#12 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

OK, did the "ping thing" and got :

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

What does that mean?
I don't know what you mean by entering the 192 address into my web browser- you mean where you enter a web address? Do you want me to do that even when I don't get my home page? Thanks! Lori

#13 goodkids3

goodkids3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.

What does that mean?
I don't know what you mean by entering the 192 address into my web browser- you mean where you enter a web address? Do you want me to do that even when I don't get my home page? Thanks! Lori

Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.
Request Timed Out.

What does that mean?

#14 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

you might try turning off any firewalls you have installed and make sure your browser is not using a proxy.

#15 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

Seriously, double check that you have your WEP key input correctly. If you must, go to the wired computer and enter the router's setup address into your web browser (yes, that's 192.168.1.1) and see if you can verify that the WEP key that's written down is the same one that's set up in the router under its wireless security section, and that same number corresponds to the key that's in the wireless properties for the laptop. You might need to look up your router's documentation on how to do this. Your situation sounds exactly like what happens when you try to connect to an encrypted network with a missing or incorrect key.

If nothing else you can connect the laptop directly to the router via ethernet cable to make sure something on the laptop isn't messed up. If it connects fine when it's hooked up wired, either you don't have the proper key or something is really messed up with your router's wireless functionality.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users