Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help- Cd Rom Drive Not Reading .cab Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi. I am having a problem installing programs from CDs. Often, but not all the time, I install the program from the CD and it stops halfway through because something.CAB cannot be read or is corrupt. This happened with half life 2, and I copied the contents of the CD onto my HD and installed it from there, and it worked fine. Now it is doing it with Office 2007 and copying it to the HD is not fixing the problem.

What are .CAB files and why is it only these which are not being read?

I have a LITE-ON COMBO SOHC 5235K and the firmware is up to date. I cannot find any instances of anyone else suffering the same problem. I am using Windows XP.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

Hi logue, it looks to me the CD is scratched somewhere thus, unable to read the file from CD.

If you could copy the files to your HDD, then try to burn it to another CD and install it from the newly burned CD and see how it goes.

You might want to try using the CD to test on another machine etc. I also found some information on .CAB file.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi, Nikas is right, I had the same problem with cab files a couple of years back turned out the cd rom player was no good ...so a good excuse to buy a better one.
MCP
MSDST

#4 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hi logue, it looks to me the CD is scratched somewhere thus, unable to read the file from CD.

If you could copy the files to your HDD, then try to burn it to another CD and install it from the newly burned CD and see how it goes.

You might want to try using the CD to test on another machine etc. I also found some information on .CAB file.

Hi, thanks.

The CD isn't scratched, they install fine on the system downstairs, and it happens to loads of my disks. I take good care of them, I'm really anal about it, haha. The problem lies with the reader I think. I should probably mention that if I try the same CD 5 times it might work once and fail 4 times, I just don't get it at all..

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

This is a classic symptom of a dirty lens in the optical drive. To fix this you can go 2 ways:

1) Buy and install a new optical drive. On a tower computer this requires you to open the case, pull the data and power cables off, take out the drive's mounting screws, remove the old drive. Reverse the procedure using the new drive. On a laptop there is a way to slide out the optical drive from the case that depends on the particular model of laptop. This is usually pretty straightforward once you figure out exactly how to do this. Try Googling "comptermake computermodel remove optical drive" or something along that line. The most difficult part is figuring out how to open the case or remove the drive.

2) Clean the lens. For a laptop this is ridiculously easy: Eject the drawer. You will see the lens in the middle of the drawer. Use a soft tissue or cloth dampened (*not* wetted) with rubbing alcohol and clean the lens using gentle circular motions. For a tower computer the procedure is more complicated: Remove the drive from the computer. Open the top metal cover by removing several small Phillips screws. The cover should then be easily pried off. You should see the lens now in the middle of the interior. Clean the lens. Replace the cover and reinstall the drive. The good thing about cleaning the lens is that it costs little or nothing. You really have nothing to lose since the drive doesn't work right anyway.

If you end up replacing a tower's optical drive you can get a new one for under $50 US. Go for a 18X or faster DVD writer model - don't waste your money on a DVD-only model, a CD-only one or a combo drive with a DVD-ROM. There tend to be plenty of laptop optical drives for sale on EBay.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

There's also a lens cleaning Cd that has little brushes on it. When you put it in the drive it spins and the brushes clean the lens
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

This is a classic symptom of a dirty lens...

Thanks, I never thought of that. I'll try that next..

#8 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

If the disc is fine with other system, then what pascor22234 said is true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users