Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Working All The Time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yowie

yowie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:16 AM

Hi, I have recently noticed that my HDD light continually flickers non-stop. I am using the Vista Ultimate OS 32 Bit. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, 2 GB ram, the nVidia GeForce XFX 8800 GTS XXX 320 Mb PCIE card. What would be causing this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yowie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

Check your Task Manager by right clicking on an empty portion of the Task Bar and selecting Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab, then click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns. In the next dialog, place a check mark next to IO Reads, then click OK. Drag the side of the Task Manager window so you can view the new column - the one that has the largest value there will probably be the culprit. Let us know what it is and we'll see if we can recommend a fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garba

garba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

Well I had the same probelm with Vista Basic...

My laptop is Intel Centrino Duo with 512 mb RAM (i think im not sure ) and i did the same thing...

Found the probelm thing that was eating it up, it was csrss.exe with a whopping 24,503 (I/O Read) so what is this program?

HELP!!! :huh:

#4 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:55 AM

csrss.exe
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects: Handles the entire user-mode subsystem.
Path: c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe

Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem or csrss.exe is a critical part of the Windows operating system. CSRSS.exe is the user-mode part of the Windows Kernel (win32.sys is the kernel-mode subsystem), CSRSS handles console windows, threads, and the virtual MS-DOS subsystem. This process cannot be ended
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

This is likely to be a misbehaving program (either legitmate or malware). Try stopping suspect processes in the Processes tab of Task Manager - but it may take a while for the program to release the process (For example, when Halo 2 did it for me, I had to reboot to get it to stop).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Ok, here are my highest I/O Reads;

csrss.exe 59,946
explorer.exe 93,545
firefox.exe 6,576

Thanks for the help. What would be the next step?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Currently my csrss.exe is reading 5,446,063
My SyncBackSE.exe is reading 2,006,842
VirtualPC.exe at 1,150,989
explorer.exe at 895,729
firefox.exe at 798,130
avgcc.exe at 581, 528
and thunderbird.exe at 427,156

My system is running fine, but I attribute that to having my pagefile on a separate hard disk from the OS and that I've got 4gB of RAM.

YMMV :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users