Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Restart, Safe Mode Crashes Too.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

Hello!

My laptop seems to be stuck in an endless cycle of restarting.
I had automatic updates running, and this downloaded 7 updates, the first of which was Security Update for .NET framework Version 1.0 (or something to that effect). I didn't take too much notice of it running in the background, and when it came time to restart for the changes to take effect I duly did so. The Compaq screen loads (under warranty a problem was fixed and they changed from HP to Compaq) and then Windows screen, but then restarts. This happens continually. I've let it run about 5 times over but then turned it off.
I tried running in safe mode, but this hangs at atisgkaf.sys and restarts. I'm not sure what else to do and my techie flatmate suggested running the boot cd, but since I don't know the administrator password I can't logon while running a repair. I am the only one using the computer so have never bothered with accounts or passwords.
I usually hibernate the laptop, not turn it completely off, so this problem could have been lying dormant for some time (i.e a virus, but i do weekly checks with ad-aware and spybot).
BIOS is foreign to me and I had a look but didn't change anything and exited without saving.
At one stage of trying hopefully to restart and turn off and have something different happen when I next turned it on, nothing happened- CD drive spins momentarily, fan starts, but hard drive doesn't spin, and the blue light showing activity doesn't light. I took out the RAM card on a whim and after putting it back in the computer now starts successfully, but then restarts after the windows loading screen. Safe mode still hangs on atisgkaf.sys

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, as long as what I have written isn't too much - though it did say in the pinned thread to write as much as possible. Even if you just say "you're screwed" - Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

Hi n8_r_moore and welcome to BC!

Pretty much looks like your system files are screwed. I suggest doing a Repair-Install. Doing a Repair-Install will keep your files intact.

Repair Windows XP.

Let us know how it goes.

#3 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

The repair-install seems to have worked, but updating to where I was before seems to be taking a long time. Thanks for your help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

After a repair install you will need to install all the Windows updates again, which will take some time. Also, if the CD you used to do the repair was not a SP2 disk you will need to reinstall SP2.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

I have turned on automatic updates, but that took some time to kick in, eventually downloading 57 security updates. It has started downloading more updates also. The older windows update worked, the microsoft update failed to install 3 items for improved updates (catch 22, I guess). This lead to SP2 not being installed, but it's a work in progress.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

Windows Update is a necessary evil after a repair install - unless you slipstream them all into your XP disk (a daunting task when I tried it). I prefer to image my hard drive when it's set up "just right" and save that image for restoring the system later on. Combine this with a decent backup strategy and you can be back up and running in no time!

FYI - On my system I can be back up and running with all my data within 20 minutes when I restore my C: drive. Then I only need the Windows Updates that have happened since the last update of my image. I do this by storing all of my Documents, Downloads, and profiles on another hard drive (also the one that I use for my pagefile). The pointers to these folders/profiles are set inside Windows, and are contained in my image - so when I boot the restored image my stuff is all there, ready to use.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

Problem solved. Thanks for all your help.

#8 Kevin3

Kevin3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

I've encountered a similar problem with an endless rebooting cycle on my desktop.

When I purchased my computer about three years ago, I bought it from someone at work and didin't receive the operating disks for Windows XP. I was wondering if I could just purchase Windows XP Pro software and follow the same steps to repair my computer. Or, wil I have to do a complete re-install and loose all of the files/data that are currently on the hard drive?

I had a similar problem back in Feb. and when I had a computer guy come out to repair it, he recommended that I purchase an external HD to avoid future situations like this. I do have an external HD with data from a few months ago on it but I see from my system BIOS that I cannot boot from a USB device - only allows HD, CD-ROM and floppy. Oh well, live and learn.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users