Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Reformat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tragik

Tragik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

I have windows XP home edition and i am trying to reformat my computer. I switch boot order to removable dev since its either that or hard drive so i figure its the removable device. I do that and put my disc in and when i restart it i get a error saying Boot failure System halted. What am i doing wrong or what do i need to do to reformat my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Tragik, 12 July 2007 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

Assuming you're using a bootable restore disk, you want to set your boot order to boot from the CD first, instead of the hard drive or the removable device, which can be a floppy, Zip drive, or USB drive.
Posted Image

#3 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

You do not to switch boot order to reformat a drive.

Just place the installation in your CD drive and then reboot. The CD should automatically startup.

Hope this info helps you. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

That is true if the manufacturer is kind enough not to have the HDD set as the first boot device, more often than not though you have to change it first yourself.
Posted Image

#5 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

So arcman, if the manufacture did set the HDD as the 1st boot device, you have to change the boot order to boot with a CD?

I guess I'm lucky then, because i never have to change the boot order to boot off a CD, i just do what i described before.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#6 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

Yes, depending on the boot order setting. If the first boot device is not CD, then change it to CD. After you have reformatted your computer, you can change it back to HDD as first boot device.

#7 Tragik

Tragik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

I have windows XP home edition and i am trying to reformat my computer. I switch boot order to removable dev since its either that or hard drive so i figure its the removable device. I do that and put my disc in and when i restart it i get a error saying Boot failure System halted. What am i doing wrong or what do i need to do to reformat my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok so i put the cd in my D drive and restart my computer and it just loads my computer doesnt go to reformat. I restarted it and hit f8 and it shows boot from. My 2 choices when that comes up is Boot from Hard drive or Removable Dev. Neither of them work How do i reformat this is getting me so angry as its not usually a hard thing to do. Please someone help

#8 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

It is not Hard Drive or Removable Device. It is CD-ROM. Set CD-ROM to your first boot device. Restart, let it loads and it should comes up with something like.."Press any key to load ..."

#9 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

It is not Hard Drive or Removable Device. It is CD-ROM. Set CD-ROM to your first boot device. Restart, let it loads and it should comes up with something like.."Press any key to load ..."

i think he said he only has the 2 choices?

#10 Tragik

Tragik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Ya i know this but like i said its only giving me 2 choices. Hard drive or Removable dev. When i put the cd in my cd rom while my computer is running it starts the windows xp disc and says the drive is working correctly but wont let me choose it in the boot priority. :thumbsup:

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Sometimes you have to go into the BIOS setup and enable certain devices as a bootable drive. I've had to do this for a good number of Dell computers. It's also common for network administrators to disable booting from devices other than the hard drive for security purposes; bypassing bootable virus disks, bootable network CDs, etc.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users