Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Master Boot Record Fix

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hey I need some quick help here for a seemingly simple problem. Simply put, I've got a messed up mbr on a laptop. Easy enough fix with the windows cd, but the thing is the laptop is in Montana at the moment, and my friend has no access to a windows cd. There is no floppy drive in the laptop either, so a bootdisk won't work. So, can someone direct me to somewhere that I can either download a windows boot CD, or a little program that will make a bootable cd that has fixboot or fixmbr on it?

edit: looks like ultimate boot cd has a program on it that will do the job, but are there any smaller images? I'm afraid that >100 megs is a bit to ask from an internet cafe.

Thanks,
-0ce

Edited by T, 12 July 2007 - 11:20 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

See if this will help you. BartPE
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Ah good idea, but that won't work. It needs a windows cd to slipstream with. Right now I'm checking on the idea of using an ultimate boot cd iso for windows and taking off all the tools except the two mbr tools on there. That would cut the size down to almost 30 megs, and I could email it.

Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

There's a XP quickboot diskette at bootdisk.com
Description
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, I checked that out a bit ago. I put it on a floppy and then made a bootable cd out of the floppy using poweriso (which seems to me should work fine), but it doesn't seem to work on either of my computers. I think I'm getting close though. I just need to get the equivilant of mbrfix for dos, and I'll be fine. See, I took a regular windows 98 floppy bootdisk, added this program to it (http://www.sysint.no/Nedlasting/MbrFix.htm), and it WOULD work, except i found out that program can't be run under dos. I'm reluctant to try using fdisk /mbr on a windows xp based computer.

Any other ideas? They would be much appreciated.

edit: Frankly, I think the only way I can do this is by mailing a windows cd to my friend in Montana. . .I know that fixboot and fixmbr would do the trick. If there's any easier way, be sure to let me know.

Edited by T, 13 July 2007 - 12:54 PM.

Posted Image

#6 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Alright sorry to revive an old topic, but I really need help now. After sending the windows cd, my friend boots off it and into the recovery console, only to find she needs an administrator password. It's nothing she knows about, and "", "password" "123", the usuals don't work. So I find a fix online which uses an offline registry editor to change some registry settings, so that it doesn't ask for the password. . .Still no luck. It doesn't work for some reason.

---If you're lazy start reading here
Basically, anyone got any other quick ways to write a little default master boot record to a windows box? I'd rather not have her download a whole linux live cd. . .I need a small little app that will go on a cd (no floppy drive). Please help?

Also: for some reason when she boots off the cd and trys to boot to windows, it still goes to grub and gives an error. . .I don't know why I can't just bypass the original boot loader.

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried just pressing Enter when it asks for a password?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

I told her to and she said it didn't work. . .Although that worked fine on my home dell machine. I still think she is pressing something else there, I really don't know.

Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Just read about this freeware tool, dunno if it has the capability that you need but it may be worth a read: http://findandmount.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

Nah, looks good but i need something that will work off a boot cd. . .I'm considering just making her get a linux live cd and fixing it over the phone for her, i've been looking for easier ways forever now.

Posted Image

#11 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Just for future reference for very large files to send I use yousendit.com. I can send very large files with no problem.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#12 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

Yeah I just stumbled on this too: http://franticindustries.com/blog/2007/07/...r-files-online/

Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

A friend sent this to me. It claims to have 25 gB of free online storage: http://www.mediamax.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users