Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Stopped Connecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hello, I have had broadband internet for about a year, with a wireless modem router connecting one computer with wireless connection and connecting the other two with wires. Never had any major problems until last saturday night the internet suddenly cut out and I havent been able to get the connection back. The modem is not connecting at all - the light stays flashing orange when it should be green.

I rang the internet service provider and at first the computer wouldnt recognise the modem when I entered the http adress of the modem and did the ping test, although another computer on the network of 3 computers I have did recognise it, but still couldnt connect to internet. Then I tried it with an older modem of almost the same model (Netgear 54 Mbps wireless ADSL modem router DG834G v2 - v2 instead of v3), and the main computer did recognise the modem, and I went over some of the modem settings over the phone but nothing would make the modem connect. They said the changes I made to the modem were not registering on their computer. They also said that there was a problem because the line between the phone and the modem was about 15 metres/50 feet when it should be 3 metres/10 feet or less and I had been getting slow speeds anyway, however I moved the modem closer to the phone and the modems still wouldnt connect, and also tried plugging the modem straight into the phone outlet without the phone/ADSL splitter thing with a very short cord, and still got nothing. The last thing they did is slow down the connection speed to 'safe' and I tried it again with both modems and still didnt work. The next thing they want to do is send a technician from the phone company out to see if it is a fault with the line, just want to check if theres anything I can do before this.

I was wondering what could have made the connection cut out suddenly when it has been working well for so long? I wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary - just usual browsing. The only thing I can think is different is now there is another wireless network that my computer picks up from a different company - probably from a neighbouring house. My connection had been unsecured so I was wondering if someone in a house nearby could have changed something with the modem - although this wouldnt explain why the older modem isnt working either. Theres nothing wrong with the phone connection - I can connect using their backup dial up account (which is what Im doing now), so it seems strange that the phone line would suddenly not work for broadband but still work for phone.

Thanks for any help you can give

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:13 AM

The ADSL signal is very fragile and can be disrupted easily. First you have to have a filter, even if you do not have a telephone. without one the interference from the telephone line would wash out the DSL signal.
I would start by connecting a filter and the DSL modem directly to the outside service box. If you do not receive a signal at least you will have eliminated the inside wiring.
Lets start with that first.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:07 AM

I have a filter, but dont see where you can connect the line to the outside box. only the wire leading to the power line is visible

Edited by blueczar, 14 July 2007 - 03:08 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

In the following picture you will see a RJ11 jack in the left side. This is a generic box and may not look just like the one outside you home but it should give you the idea. Place the dual telephone\DSL filter in the jack then plug in the telephone line and your DSL modem.

Posted Image

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users