Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teddyshooter

teddyshooter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

well first thing is first i built my own computer and when i turn it on the front button stays green when its to post to go out

this problem just started randomly and the screen ever turns on and nothing works

i put new thermal past on because i needed new because the temp was to high than it stopped working

what can be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Ok the computer P.O.S.T do you here any beeps? and What kind of motherboard do you have? Depending on the Beep code we can determine whats wrong with it. Since you mentioned overheating you may have a damaged component. Also list what kind of video card, and Memory you have
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 teddyshooter

teddyshooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

no beeps nvidia 8600gt
g.skill ddr2 667 ram with heat spreaders
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813138040
thats link for mother board

no beeps

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

I'm thinking he blew the power supply or something? Hes using the cheap power supply that came with the case (I told him what parts to get, we're friends). You think this is true, and how can he test it?

Edited by Sterling14, 12 July 2007 - 07:22 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

There are a couple of ways to test the PSU, the easiest is to purchase something like the Antec ATX12V tester for about fifteen bucks. The other way is to remove the power cord from the AC receptacle, pull the 20/24 pin PSU connector from the motherboard, place a wire jumper between the green wire and any black wire, this bypasses the motherboard. Plug the power cord back in and use a voltmeter to read the different rails.

This site has the color code and associated rail voltages, the first page is for the twenty pin connector, you will have to go to the second page for the twenty four pin connector.

If you are not comfortable doing this...don't.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

Well actually now he told me when he got a new IDE cable the other day, he was doing something and was too lazy to turn his computer off. So he decided to plug his cd drive in while his computer was on... He then told me he saw some sparks coming out. So pretty much he fried his motherboard. Going to have to RMA it now. Thanks for the help anyways guys!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users