Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping/re-installing A Difficult Job?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi, I'm chronically PC-illiterate, and whenever my PC crashes or goes dead for whatever reason (about twice a year), I have to take it to the repair shop who fix it by wiping my hard drive and re-installing my XP Home and assorted drivers etc, and they charge me about 25 (40 dollars) when they've finished after about 10 days.
My question - could I wipe and re-install myself, or does it need a lot more know-how than i've got?
Thanks

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 12 July 2007 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hi MickinPlymouthUK, No, it is not that difficult, it can be time consuming depending on how much of your files you have backed up and the size of the hdd. I have Wipe Drive and it take about six hours to wipe my 200GB hdd, no problem, I get it started and go to bed, get up in the morning and it's ready to go. Reinstalling the OS takes about an hour, and then it's about reinstalling the drivers for your peripheral devices and reinstalling your programs and files. If you have your files backed up on another hdd, CD, or DVD this can go quickly, I hope you get the impression that I'm pushing backing up your files.

One thing I would suggest is to make a separate partition on the hdd to install the OS and its' updates and use the second partition for your other files. This way if you need to reinstall the OS you can reformat that partition and not have to worry about the rest of you files.

As I said previously, I like Wipe Drive, but it is not free, and as it turns out their free trial only will wipe 25% of the hdd, but I have heard about good results with Killdisk.

If you have the installation CD with the product code, have wiped the hdd, have your backed up files and driver CDs you're ready to go. One last step, you will need to go into the BIOS and make you CD-ROM the first device in the boot order, this will allow you to boot from the CD that you will make of Killdisk and you OS CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

$40 for a wipe and reinstall? Do they do all the updates for you? If so, this may be a good deal (my shop gets $130 for this) if it saves you the time of sitting through all the Windows Updates.

Here's a link on how to do a clean install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users