Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Crash While Using An Ati Card?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

I have discovered that sometimes when playing certain games, water effects can cause the game to crash while using an Ati graphics card, even with the most up to date drivers. I fixed 2 games that I was having trouble with: Neverwinter Nights, and Farcry.

In NWN, simply go to options and disable "shiny water", and that should hopefully fix any random crashes you might get like I was getting.

In Farcry, go to start menu and under Farcry (probably under Ubisoft), bring up the Farcry configuration tool. Go to advanced video options and select custom. Scroll all the way over to the right and select water effects. Under water effects, select "WaterUpdateFilter" Double-click in the value cateory with "WUF" selected and change it to "0.001". As a further precaution, put water effects to "low" before doing this to make sure as many water effects are disabled as possible. Prior to doing this, whenever I tried to start the game, it would always crash back to the desktop during the loading screen. After I altered the "WUF", I was able to play! Now I just have to hope the v1.4 patch I'm downloading will allow my mousie to work :flowers: .

EDIT: To get the mouse to work, you probably altered what mouse button does what. To fix it, hit default so the original keys will go back, and you can edit every other key except the mouse buttons and wheel.

Any other games, do your best to disable all water effects, and hopefully it will solve your problem :thumbsup: .

Edited by solaris32, 12 July 2007 - 08:10 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

For starters, can you tell us what ATI video card you have?

If it's a problem with water, maybe the card doesn't support water effects and it causes a problem or maybe you don't have the latest version of DirectX.

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

I found this tip while looking up an error I was having with NWN. I found it in one of the forums. If you really want, I can find it again. But apparantly, according to Ati, this type of error with water effects is only supposed to affect the x800 series. But many people find this error in several of the cards. My card is an Ati Mobility Radeon x1400. And yes I have the latest version of direct x. It's the water effects I tell ya!

#4 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

I have never had any problems with teh Water in NWN 1or2 my card is radeon 1950XT

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

Ati Mobility Radeon x1400 is the problem, listed as a low level entry card for newer games

they cut a lot of corners getting a vid system to work within design specs for a slim notebook

Edited by DaChew, 13 July 2007 - 09:09 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Ati Mobility Radeon x1400 is the problem, listed as a low level entry card for newer games

they cut a lot of corners getting a vid system to work within design specs for a slim notebook

That figures :thumbsup: . Guess I'll have to get a desktop whenever I decide to get a new computer with money I don't currently have in the far future.

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Never had a problem with my ATI radeon 1600x pro 512mb onboard ram with ice-q cooling.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#8 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:00 AM

Apparantly, such afflictions only happen to the more low-tech Ati cards like what I have. Mine is designed for a laptop so it's smaller and less powerful.

#9 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

This is one reason I'm glad I have a desktop now. I was able to get a good ATI card (256mb) for under $100, and it works just fine.

BTW, I'm playing The Longest Journey and Dreamfall! :thumbsup:

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

I think it's just cards that are intergrated, not even Mobility. You need a dedicated card to have it work good (no hypermemory either, just pure video card). I know this was a problem with Battlefield 2142 on my sister's Inspiron 1501 where it just wouldn't run because it wasn't powerful enough (also a mobility radeon). ATI cards are still the best, despite problems with lower-end cards (which you get from any low-end card). I think the only sacrifice I'm making to ATI is that when I get my new alienware m9750, it's only available with a NVidia card (actually, 2 of em, SLI'd). But for that I've still got a year and $4,000 to go :thumbsup:

Regards,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 19 July 2007 - 01:47 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Yea, I've come to realize it's not Ati, but lower-end graphics cards. And that laptops aren't good for gaming :\.

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Except tremendously expensive laptops like the Alienware m9750 I'm getting :D

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users