Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Sound Card! And Headphone Port

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

Currently on my notebook computer I just have two audio ports (one for headphones and the other for a microphone). The microphone port works fine however, my headphone port is damaged somehow. When I plug in my headphones or my 5.1 speaker system, it will produce sound but only if I push down on the end of the cable where it is connected into the port. Without anything in the headphone port, my computer will not play any sounds. So to fix this I will plug in my headphones and then put a paperweight on the end of the headphone cable right next to the port on my computer and then sound will be produced. When I look at the port it seems to be really loose inside. My question is though, since my computer will not play sounds without that port being pushed down...If I buy this-> CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS NOTEBOOK PCMCIA SOUND BLASTER CARD, will my computers sound go through the card instead of my headphone port. Will the sound be re routed to the card instead of the damaged port. Or does my loose headphone port need to be working inorder for sound to come out of that card. Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

I believe you will still have the same problem, because you are still plugging into the messed up port (only when you plug into it though.)

If you are using it without anything plugged in it, I believe it will work and you will get sound out of the speakers.

#3 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

What I want to do is just leave the messed up port alone with nothing plugged into it and just use the sound card that I mentioned, but I don't want to buy it if I'm still going to have the same problem. So when nothing is plugged into the messed up port no sound comes out. And your saying that if I use the card and plug into that the sound will come out, while leaving the messed up port alone???

Regards,
Michael

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

I believe the card will operate fine.

You may want to get it looked at....there should be a return policy on any sound card you buy as well.

#5 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

So one more time to make sure...by getting the sound card it would re route all the sound to go through the card and not the messed up port??

Regards,
Michael

Edited by soccerdudemulder, 13 July 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#6 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

Its been my experience that a notebook most times have onboard sound and even if there is a way to change the soundcard unless it is going to have some exposed port for you to plug into - then you are still going to have to plug into that same port, so if its the port that is the problem I don't think replacing the soundcard is gonna fix that.

#7 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

I just saw the card you were talking about and since it has the ports right on it then it should work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users