Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner - Usb Ports

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Slomoz

Slomoz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

The problem: My 55 GB hard drive is almost full, mostly with photos.

The solution I'm considering: A DVD burner.

I'm thinking that I can use the DVD burner for general backup, which I haven't been keeping up with because it's such a hassle to figure out how much data I can get onto each CD.

Also, I can transfer the older photos to DVDs and then delete them from my computer.

A possible problem: I only have two USB ports and both are in use with devices that have associated software -- a printer and battery backup.

Since I won't need to use all three devices at the same time, can I plug and unplug devices -- like switch back and forth between the printer and the DVD burner -- or will this "confuse" the computer. (Obviously, it's confusing me.)

Any thoughts or recommendations on any part of this problem would be appreciated, including a brand of DVD burner. (All I want if for is backing up data and photos. I have no desire to burn and/or edit videos.)

Operating system: Windows XP home.
Computer: Dell Dimension 4550 ... about three years old.
512 MB RAM

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

If it were me, I'd get a large external hard drive that I can plug in via USB. This way, I could plug it into a usb port, transfer all my photos onto the external drive, then unplug the external drive and put it away until I need to transfer more stuff. HERE is one from newegg.com. It's 250 GB and costs about $75 (without shipping). I have an external drive and I have it plugged into my computer all the time and seldom turn it off. Works great!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

You could also use a USB Hub and plug in as many items as you want.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Why not use and internal DVD player, or don't you have any spare room? As far as USB ports, you can always get a USB hub
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

six USB 2.0 ports

I only have two USB ports

Houston, we have a problem
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

As DaChew points out there are six USB ports, two in the front and four in the rear. It also has three drive bays inside if you wish to install a DVD-RW internally.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Slomoz

Slomoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for translating DaChew's post. Y'all are, of course, correct. Do I drink the chlorine before or after consulting my owners manual?

Moving on to stupid questions about drive bays: Is that three that I have including the floppy drive? I mean, I currently have two CD drives and a floppy drive. It didn't look to me like there was room for another drive, but I could easily be wrong about that too. I have no use for the floppy drive, but again, it didn't look to me as if the mounting system for the floppy was the same as for the other two drives.

An internal DVD burner would be preferable to external, but for me to handle the installation, it would have to be straightforward with no ad libbing involved. :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

There is an elegant solution for this situation, a DVD-RW will also read and burn CDs. Take out one of the CD Drives and replace it with the DVD-RW. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2007 - 01:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

sorry to be sarcastic but with all the talk about hubs, it seemed to be going off track

when I am getting ready to archive some data to cd or dvd I create a new folder then after "tiling windows vertically" I start
moving files to the new folder, by checking it's size I determine when to stop, 650MB for cd or 4 gigs for dvd. After burning and verifying the data was backed up successfully, I edit, select all and delete the folder's contents.

for data backup I would only trust TaiyoYuden, Verbatim or Sony media burned slow on a good burner

Liteon, Samsung or LG dvd burners are the only ones I would consider right now, stay away from crossbranded types like Sony, Memorex, HP, etc.

Try to put the dvd burner on top, jumpered master with the better of the old drives below jumpered slave

Edited by DaChew, 13 July 2007 - 06:03 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 Slomoz

Slomoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

As I sit here looking at the outside of the case, everything said above makes sense. I found a couple of online howtos with step-by-step instructions that show how to recognize the master/slave relationship. DaChew even anticipated a couple of future questions that were beginning to form in the back of my mind.

I'll let y'all know how things go when I get inside.

Thanks for the help.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

Nice Catch DaChew I didn't even think to research the computer, In the back of my mind I assumed he was just using all available ports.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users