Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus Protection: Freeware Or Software You Have To Buy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

This may nt be a question that can be answered, but I wanted to ask it to spark some discussion here. I need to get some anti-virus protection for a new computer I am planning to build this month, and I am wondering if there is such a thing as "the best program" to have. I see that there is a lot of freeware that is recommended here, as well as some software programs that need to be purchased.

Please help me make a decision on what anti-virus software to use! I have no problem purchasing a software package if it is effective and not bloated.

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

Woody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

Hi, this is a question that will be answered. A lot of us here have a distaste for Norton and McAfee products, for various reasons.

IMHO, Paid products #1 kapersky, #2 bitdefender, #3 Nod32, #4 Panda, #5 Trend Micro.

Free Products: #1 Avast, #2 Avira, #3 AVG (these all have active protection) Freeware Replacement thread

IMO you must run an antivirus that has active protection. There are other Free antiviruses available, such as bit defender Free, but the last I looked at it, it just put an icon in the system tray, but still only had manual (on demand) scanning.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

This is an often-asked question. If you do a search on this forum, using "best antivirus" I am sure you will find quite of few threads discussing various views about which is best and whether the free AVs are as good as the paid ones.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 12 July 2007 - 04:58 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Woody

Woody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

This is an often-asked question. If you do a search on this forum, using "best antivirus" I am sure you will find quite of few threads discussing various views about which is best and whether the free AVs are as good as the paid ones.
Regards,
John

Thanks John, I will try the search method.

#5 Woody

Woody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi, this is a question that will be answered. A lot of us here have a distaste for Norton and McAfee products, for various reasons.

IMHO, Paid products #1 kapersky, #2 bitdefender, #3 Nod32, #4 Panda, #5 Trend Micro.

Free Products: #1 Avast, #2 Avira, #3 AVG (these all have active protection) Freeware Replacement thread

IMO you must run an antivirus that has active protection. There are other Free antiviruses available, such as bit defender Free, but the last I looked at it, it just put an icon in the system tray, but still only had manual (on demand) scanning.

Do the paid products you mentioned have active protection like the free products you mentioned?

Also, have you looked at the reports this website does: http://www.av-comparatives.org/? Interesting information to say the least!

Thanks,

Jason

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yes, all the paid software has active protection. I have looked at av-comparatives, I took their reviews into account, but only gave the opinion based on what I have actually used, plus my own personal testing.(non scientific).I also took into account special features, such as boot time scanning, software packages that include a bootable cd, etc.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users