Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sluggish Computer, Mainly At Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

Had a post in the HiJackThis logs forum and was advised to try here. Original Post

Thanks to the advice there i got rid of the spyware etc that was in my computer but still a couple of minor problems i'd like assistance with if anyone is able to help please?

Seems to be really slow starting up...the computer boots up quickly but when it gets to the desktop can take a good 5-10 minutes before you can start anything, if you click earlier it takes a good few minutes for something minor like IE or Outlook to open.

There does seem to be a lot of things running in the background, a lot of which i'm not really sure of and have no idea wether i should be disabling them or if their needed - i don't think of it is spyware or malicious but just not sure if most of it is needed to be running in background..

ATI and Gigabyte utilities specifically...i never use them but they've been on the computer since i had it upgraded a couple of years ago..

Another thing since i've had problems is when opening a folder on the computer (My Documents, My Music or My Pictures for example) there's no toolbar at the top anymore, still one on the left but there used to be on top aswell, have tried right-clicking everywhere on the screen to see if it's something i can manually enable but no joy?

When i open any of those folders or another one i get this error quite a lot aswell...pops up 4-5 times before it goes away and lets me access whatever folder it is:

Posted Image

Anyone any ideas on how to solve these or how i could find out more about it?

I know it says only to post one problem but i'm not sure if these are all connected in the same problem or not so apologies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hi, Doc try this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/ try doing everything that you can in this self help article. If you wish, as some want P2P software, others don't, uninstall Azureus.exe, this program uses the internet connection constantly and can cause bootup slowdowns. you can also uninstall the gigabyte utilities if you wish.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,085 posts
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

Have you scanned this file as RichieUK suggested in his last post? C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe What were the results?

What Symantec/Norton products are you running - could one of them be interfering with one of your other security products (I'm particularly concerned about Norton Internet Security vs the Sygate Personal Firewall)?

Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Application category in the left hand pane and view the events in the right hand pane - let us know about any errors that you find. Then do the same thing with the System category.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users