Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Restore/installation Freezing At 5th (final) Disc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

I haven't been to BC in a while, but i desperately need some help right now...

I'm trying to re-install my windows operating system, but it keeps hanging up at a certain point. eMachines gave me 5 discs for a system restore, and everything is fine up to the last disc. It's at this point the prompt shows "creating user partition", then "copying windows XP data and restore files". It then starts going through all the normal file names, and always freezes at something called Windows\inf\mdmrock4.inf, and the error it throws is Problen in extracting process: Windows\inf\mdmrock4.inf couldn't be opened! (and yes, it actually says "Problen", not "Problem"....) From here, it gives me the option to click "Ok" and get past it, but then every other file beyond that is the same way. Gives the same error, and the same "Ok" prompt.

The weird thing is that i've used these discs before, and they've worked perfectly, so i have no idea why it's not working now. Is it a hardware issue, a harddrive issue, or what? I've checked the discs and they all seem to be undamaged. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: I'm on an eMachines t6211 (i think that's the model, can't check right now) and running XP home. The computer is about 2 years old.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 12 July 2007 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

Ok, now i'm majorly confused....

I made a copy of the 5th disc (the one that the process kept hanging up on), and tried to use the copied disc in the sequence. The installation process got FARTHER than it would with the official disc, but it still hung up when trying to extract the system32 files. It started with "regwiz", then screwed up with everything past that......

What kind of logic is being used here? I installed Ubuntu my box before attempting an XP install again (ubuntu ran without a glitch), but i'm not sure if the previous Ubuntu o/s helped the install process along, or if it was the copied disc. Either way, the harddrive is being formatted everytime.....

Since ubuntu ran fine, i'm assuming it's not a harddrive problem. But, since both versions of the 5th disc screwed up (albeit in different places), i have no idea what the problem could be.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:41 AM

I suspect that there's a problem with that 5th disk - is it scratched or pitted? Try using one of the commercial disk repair tools to fix it. If it's a problem with the disk, copying the disk will most likely just copy over the problems. The copy algorithm may be a bit more robust than the reads for the installation and that's why it may skip the first error. I'd suspect that the second error is a more serious corruption of the disk than the first one was (since the first one went away when you copied it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Thanx for the reply usasma.

I've thoroughly inspected the 5th disc (visually) and can see no scratches or defects in the surface.

Another weird thing that i've noticed (on the 7th time trying to re-install) is that there are random errors in the first 2 discs as well, however, never the SAME error. One time, the "Desktop.ini" file couldn't be extracted from the first disc, but the very next attempt at re-install flew through the first disc with no problem, but would do the exact same thing with a random file on the 2nd disc. Unfortunately, i can't reproduce any of these errors, since they seem to be completely random. I guess something i could try would be to copy ALL of the restore discs to blank, writeable cd's, just in case some of the random bugs could be phased out by buffering or something.

The eMachines "support" team told me to try unplugging all the 3rd party hardware and try again, so i did that and still gave me the Regwiz.exe error. Their next solution? Pay $20 for ANOTHER set of restore discs..... discs i spent $15 on less than a year ago. I'm a college student.... $20 is not pocket change for me.... I'm starting to hate emachines.....

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

If the disks don't have major damage, then I wouldn't worry about the disks just yet. The error is in the copy process - and can actually be on either end that it's failing. In other words, it's probably a good time to check your hard drive even if Ubuntu is running fine on it.

If you can get into the Recovery Console, try running chkdsk /f /r on it. Make sure that all traces of the Ubuntu boot loader are gone (this would require a low-level reformat of the hard drive - you can get a tool for this from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Usually it's free there).

Then, download a bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive and have it check the entire disk (usually it's called a "Long" or "Extended" test).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 firemancyr

firemancyr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:30 AM

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm having the same exact problem on the 7th (last) disk of an HP machine's restore disks. Did the above fix work?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hi firemancyr, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I've sent you a PM.

Edited by dc3, 23 May 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

FWIW: I have to agree that it's an imperfection on the disk...as my guess :thumbsup:.

I did a clean install yesterday on a system rife with malware and I ran into similar problems. Since I have several copies of XP CDs (same version), I merely would replace one copy with another...each time that it reported inability to read/copy a file...and the install went on without passing over any system files.

Louis

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

I went through similar things my fix was to wipe the drive and start fresh, XP seems to trip over old files and die!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users