Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Rights Under Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OylE

OylE

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

OK, I got a phone call today from a recruiter, a local company had a server crash, could I go and take a look? "Sure", I said. (I didn't have anything else to do except deposit a measly $32.00 paycheck in my bank).

So I said about an hour. "No problem, thanks very much", they said. I get there, and it's a physical therapy office; they have weight machines, exercise balls, etc.

SO the application runs on the server, the two client machines run off that. This is an XP HOME environment.

The server runs the application, "VPTOS", and the clients run "CPTOS". The pyhsical therapy software runs FoxPro databases, seems in the server crash, the main db (DATAPT.DBF) was corrupted. They SAID they backed up the good database onto a USB drive. Sure hope so.

There are Shared drives, Network drive is M:, and there is a network drive Y: that appears to be non-existent.

I discovered that the one client computer I was working on (I haven't touched the second client computer yet) was not in the same workgroup. I fixed that.

Admin password is the same as the user name. So is each user password, the same as uname.

Tech support from PTOS says the key to the clients seeing the server is the access rights. The clients have to have full access rights.

So I rebooted into safe mode, ran msconfig, and checked the perms. They all said "Full Control", but I want to make sure I'm not confusing access rights with NTFS permissions.

When you run the app from the client, it comes up asking for the Foxpro database, says the Run1 file has to be updated. It's supposed to find the DATAPT.DBF file, and I tried pathing to it, but it didn't work.

I have to go back there tomorrow;I recommended that we just re-install the whole software package and then just update it. They have it installed in several locations, on the server C: drive, and on the M:drive.

What's the best way for me to optimize this? :flowers: Application website: http://www.ptos.com

I've never worked with this software before, never worked with FoxPro before. But this is how you learn. I've kinda been pre-occupied elsewhere, know what I mean? This is the first place I come to for help. Haven't had to monkey around with access rights under XP Home, all my machines at home are XP Pro.

I question the use of XP Home for a business, but the owner of the business that set this up is a physical therapist, not a computer person. I advised them to upgrade to XP Pro. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot, guys!! Wink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

Does the server machine rn XP Home as well, or does it run Windows server?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users