Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Manufacturer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hello All :thumbsup:

This may sound like a trivial question, but how can I find out the manufacturer and type of my hard-drive in my system without opening up the case? And how do I tell if my harddrive is SATA, IDE, etc.

When I click on device manager, under "Disk Drives" is simply shows "ARRAY". When I look at the information, it says under manufacturer: (Standard Disk Drives). :flowers:

Also, I've tried the EVEREST site to get the home edition but I couldn't find it anywhere. I certainly don't want a corporate or ultimate edition. Where is the home version??

I have a DELL 5150 Dimension desktop with a 250GB "Array" Hard Drive with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed, fully patched.

Thanks in advance. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

I just ran Everest Home on my system, and the drive information shows up under "physical drives".

This line:

Drive #2 - ST3160827AS (149 GB)

may not be self evident, but the "ST" means Seagate.

Look there and post the information that shows up for you if you need further guidance, OK?

Edit to add that I ran the "Home" Everest.

Edited by JohnWho, 12 July 2007 - 09:15 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the very fast response JohnWho :thumbsup:

I just realized that Everest HOME edition has been discontinued by the software company, but I managed to get version 2.20 off the Majorgeeks site.

I'll run it when I get home from work tonight and let you know what comes up.

Cheers. :flowers:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

You will find the same information in Belarc Advisor, which seems easier to understand (it gives the actual brand name for the hard drives, at least for mine):

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

For future reference, in case you didn't know, if you need a freeware program, you can check out our, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.
All the programs listed there, were tested, and recommended, by our members.
A few of the links, are the last freeware versions of those particular programs, including Everest, which can be found under the System Information heading, in the first post.

It's a good link to have bookmarked. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

You will find the same information in Belarc Advisor, which seems easier to understand (it gives the actual brand name for the hard drives, at least for mine):

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Cheers,
John

I have Belarc Advisor 7.1h (there may be newer) and it shows:

ST3160827AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1

Again, one must know that "ST" is Seagate.

Wonder why they don't add that to their code?

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

OK I ran Everest HOME: Under physical drives it says this:

ARRAY (232GB)

and nothing else... :thumbsup:

Any further guidance??

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

You may have an HD Array, and I'm not familiar with how Everest reports the drives in an array. Are there other choices under the "storage devices" section that gives further info?

jgweed has suggested you download and run Belarc Advisor.

It might give you the information you need.

Worth a try before wasting a lot more time trying to figure this out, don't you think?

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Belarc Advisor says:

ARRAY [Hard drive] (249.99 GB) -- drive 0

That's it.

Everest Array does not report anything else under Physical Drives or Storage Devices

I just want to know the manufacturer of my drive so I can run appropriate diagnostics for my HD. Maybe I'll open the case instead unless anyone else has some ideas?? :thumbsup:

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

I'm not a HD Array (RAID) person,

but it may be you will find that you have more than one HD in that system.

Someone else may be aware of a utility that can detect the specific drives, but it appears that both the free Everest and Belarc either can not, or we don't know where to look for the information if they can.

Sorry I can't help more.

Maybe someone else?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

Dell list that model as having up to a 250GB SATA hard drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

You will have to look in the bios for physical drive information, It looks like you have a RAID 0 or RAID 1 setup. I can find out the actual drives in NT4 and 2000, but cant find the drive information in XP. It is a subset of the controller software (Device manager, find the SCSI Raid Controller, R Click, Properties, the physical drives should be listed here)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks dc3 and oldf@rt for your assistnace. :thumbsup:

I checked the Dell link....this is also what was listed on my quote when I bought the computer. I will need to do some more digging around when I get home tonight.

I was pretty sure that I had SATA but I also saw somewhere (either on my system or on Dell website) that my drive is IDE. :flowers:

Sooooo.....my next question. What is the difference between SATA & IDE? Are these known (in computer language) as interfaces of the hard drive. I'm learning quite a bit here :trumpet:

Finally, is it OK to use a 3rd party wiping utitility (like KillDisk or CopyWipe) to write zeros on the drive, or should I use the hard drive manufacturer's utility to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to prepare my drive (wipe, re-format) for a clean Vista install and my sticking point is knowing exactly the specs and manufacturer of my HD.

I'll post again tonight....cheers. :inlove:

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Sooooo.....my next question. What is the difference between SATA & IDE? Are these known (in computer language) as interfaces of the hard drive. I'm learning quite a bit here :thumbsup:

Finally, is it OK to use a 3rd party wiping utitility (like KillDisk or CopyWipe) to write zeros on the drive, or should I use the hard drive manufacturer's utility to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to prepare my drive (wipe, re-format) for a clean Vista install and my sticking point is knowing exactly the specs and manufacturer of my HD.

Interface defined by Webopedia. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/i/interface.html

(n.) A boundary across which two independent systems meet and act on or communicate with each other. In computer technology, there are several types of interfaces.

* user interface - the keyboard, mouse, menus of a computer system. The user interface allows the user to communicate with the operating system. Also see GUI.
* software interface - the languages and codes that the applications use to communicate with each other and with the hardware.
* hardware interface - the wires, plugs and sockets that hardware devices use to communicate with each other.

(v.) To connect with or interact with by means of an interface.

SATA VS Pata (IDE)

Speed (150mbps (SATA) vs 100/133mbps (PATA))
Hot swappable (SATA)
Longer cables (SATA)
Air flow (large IDE cable vs thin SATA)
Newer technology with future speed increases promised.

KillDisk will work just fine.

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2007 - 10:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users