Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow File Copy In Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

I've been researching this issue and have found 2 possible fixes:

1) Disable Remote Differential Compression (Go to Start...Control Panel...Uninstall a Program...Turn Windows Features On or Off...and remove the check mark from Remote Differential Compression).

2) A possible issue with network copying: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/
You can get the hotfix from MS, or you can try this link (I haven't tried it myself):
http://thehotfixshare.net/download/index.p...B931770-x86.msu

Will post more once I see how this works for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mattaryn

mattaryn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

Hey usama
I am not sure if this is the same prob I am experiencing... I recently tried to copy all of my home pics from my desktop to my new laptop. The older desktop is a dell inspirion 3000 (i think its a inspirion). any way I bought it in 04. Now I just got a new HP tx1120us laptop w/ Windows Vista installed.
I have since noticed 2 very aggrivating probs:
1. I tried to download the pictures I have to a CD then move them to the laptop. I know there a re other ways to do this - including Esy File transfer - but do not have the cable reqd - besides I figured that since it burned these files (@ 700mb worth -enought to fill a CDR) on my old desktop in @ 4 min - that it should really copy to my new laptop w/in @ 2 min due to the fact the laptop has increased memory / RAM (i think). Why then is it getting stuck and failing to copy these files it starts - gets about 3/4 of the way done and then just locks up - will do nothing more. I have tried multiple times with different CD's and even transfering diff info (in case one of the photos was corrupt- which I doubt since i took them all) . So again I am curious as to why this prob is happening.

2. Is the fact that since I have noticed this, I have also noticed that I have downloaded pics/ files to my docs folder (I am a professional photgrapher) and when I go back to view them - the folder that i placed them in is there - but the picture is not anymore. This prob (as with the other is about to force me to return my computer and go back to XP due to the fact that I depend so heavily on the ability to store and retrieve my files.

So any help / direction you could impart on me would be most appreciated!

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

How do you copy the files to CD? Do you use the Wizard, a right click and "send to", or another method? Have you tried any other copying tools (such as Nero, etc)?

As for the missing files, have you searched your hard drive for them? Vista's directory structure organization is different enough from XP that it does cause issues for users. When searching, first search the Indexed locations - if it doesn't find them there, use the Advanced search to search "Everywhere" - that should locate the files for you. If not, post back and I'll do some more research.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

I've just encountered the missing files issue at work. Here's what I've got.

A new Vista computer - could not "see" the contents of folders on a slaved hard drive from an XP installation.
Changed the file options to view hidden and view extensions and it worked to view the files, yet the copy wouldn't work
Took ownership of the files and the copy worked - but the prompts indicated that there was something telling the copy process not to copy the files the last time I tried it.

In short, this fix works, but it doesn't "fix" the root of the issue. I'll post more as I find out more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users