Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viruses Can Remain Undetected?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I recently heard somewhere that it's possible to have a virus even if our anti-virus progs don't detect it, is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

absolutely. i recommend using an online scanner every month as a way of verification. My favorite is F Secure, you must use internet explorer for this to work.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

Is F-Secure free?
Is it an anti-virus prog?
And what guarantee is there that it'll detect something the regular AV progs won't?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

There is always the possibility, given the rapidity with which malware is written and then spread through the internet, that you can become infected before the anti-virus company can write, test, and issue a definition. Your chances of this happening, especially if you keep your AV's definitions updated, are probably so slim that you should not be overly concerned. Remember, too, that any subsequent scan should find and quarantine the new virus.

There are many free on-line virus scanners available; the best of these are listed under the appropriate section of the BC Freeware Guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

These should be used periodically as a "double-check" to your own resident AV.

RE: F-Secure
" F-Secure Online Virus Scanner is a free service. Use it to find out if your computer is infected and disinfect your computer if needed.
The size of the download package is about 22 megabytes including databases. "

I hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 DPCS

DPCS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

some viruses but many rootkits are very hard to find, almost undetectable.

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

Groan, so from what you guys are saying, there's no 100% guarantee that any amount of scanning will zap a virus?
So why don't we all simply wipe our hard drives clean to get rid of anything nasty that might be there, say every couple of months or so?

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

Actually, some people do just that! But I think that that is pretty overkill. My life doesn't revolve around my computer. My computer is to make my life easier (and more entertaining)! I enjoy browsing the forums 10-15 minutes a day (on average) to ask questions, and learn new things. As I've learned, I've even given a few answers!

Just learn how to be as safe as you can. NEVER open unknown e-mails. Stay away from "free" "downloadables", unless you learn of them from a place like this. Read and learn about things like Firefox with the NoScript extension.

Stay safe, and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users