Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud_c And Outerinfo, Now What?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PB & J

PB & J

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

OK, first time here, but I got both Smitfraud_C and outerinfo with winpop last weekend (don't know how). I've done fair amount of checking around online, and have kept the computer unplugged from internet, since I had to keep my mouse-click finger poised constantly to avoid connecting, and was running Spy Bot S&D about every 15 minutes and getting a big batch of adware each time.
I have downloaded SmitRem.exe, OiUninstaller.exe (from the outerinfo site, so don't know whether to really trust or not) Combofix.exe (which some people have said is touchy), and two hosts programs. Copied all to media and then copied to desktop of the affected computer (XP) to avoid internet connection. All untouched and waiting on the desktop...
My main question at this point is: should I deal with one at a time? and if so which one first?
I've found specific instructions for both, but not both together, one seems to indicate just running all fixes in normal screen, other says must run in safe mode.
I have hijack this file. Anybody have thoughts, knowledge???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

Get rid of smitfraud first. Here is a link to a guide for removing outerinfo.

See info in link below.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-remo...IN-t134763.html

You can also post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum by following the instructions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PB & J

PB & J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

(Thanks Buddy)
That's where I got my Outerinfo removal instructions from. the remover download is from the outerinfo site, so I'm just gonna trust it will not do anything untoward...
Someone also said try using SpyBot in safe mode for Smitfraud_C removal...maybe try that before doing the more intense stuff? or just go for the big fix, to be sure? whadayathink?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

You can get EXPERT advice by posting the Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. They will guide you through cleaning your computer.
Whether you use the guide in my first post or not, you should definitely post the log.

Edited by buddy215, 12 July 2007 - 12:55 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 PB & J

PB & J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Will do, as soon as I get home. copied HJT to a floppy, so I could post it without going online from the affected computer, but it's home, and I'm still at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users