Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Update That Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jak Spade

Jak Spade

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

I have a Microsoft update that will not install. It tries and tries again yet fails every time. My system is Windows XP Home edition and the update is entitled Security Update for Microsoft.NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1(KB 928366)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi Jak Spade,

Looks like you are not alone: Windows XP Newsgroups.

For now, try the fixes offered in that thread until a member has a solid solution (note there are two pages).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

Had the same issue awhile back & called Microsoft because I had to obtain a hotfix for Net Framework 1.1 from them (see pic below). If any of the fixes at the link that TMacK gave you don't solve it, you should probably contact them as well & since this involves an issue with Microsoft Update, you wont be charged for it.

Contact by phone: (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676), or you can use email support at this link > Microsoft Email Support

Clik to Enlarge
Posted Image

Edited by hillbillygreek, 13 July 2007 - 01:40 AM.

#4 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Dont know if youve still got the problem, but I recently had exactly same thing.

I removed all .NET items in AD/Remove. and simply re-installed through microsoft udate, all .Net packages again. It works fine now.

Hope it helps.

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

Using the windows installer cleanup utility fixed my problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

For my XP Pro SP2, I ran into MS updates issues a few times. One time, I just needed to disable the firewall temporarily. Another time, I just downloaded the update locally and installed it manually (see below). Another time, I had to reset permissions in the registry. You should get a specific error message in the failure notice. Have a look in the microsoft usergroups for that particular code.

You might want to try downloading it and installing it locally:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Good luck.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#7 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I tried the Add/Remove then re-install solution and it worked. I am now right up to date.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

This is what comes up for me concerning this update:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
Download size: 8.8 MB , 36 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft.

...however, I do not have *any* Microsoft .NET Framework showing up as being installed in my Add/Remove programs (so nothing in there that looks like the stuff in hillbillygreek's image post further above).

So why does this come up for me, if it doesn't seem like I have .NET Framework Version 1.1 or any version of .NET Framework...? Would it be listed somewhere else other than Add/Remove Programs if I had it?

I don't even know what that is, and I don't use it (as far as I know).

So do I even need this update or can I just hide it?

(If I need it, please explain why -- thanks!)

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

I found out that you have that thing by default integrated into Windows, so I did the update. No issues that I can tell.
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users