Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simcity 4 Deluxe On 2 Computers... Will It Work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hi,
I am currently playing Simcity 4 Deluxe on my computer. My brother also wants to play it and installed it on his computer. My brother said that the licence will not be illegal if only one of us go on at a time, so we did some shift on when can we play. Though I am extremely tempted to play... I just wonder if we can both play at the same time while using the same licence. Please enlighten me.
I hope for some good news (but give me valid answers though)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

That's kind of confusing. The way you worded it makes it sound like it's a game you can play online or you buying and downloading it over the internet. Am I correct on that at all?

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

NO! it that well we bought a CD of Simcity 4 (ginuine) and that comes with the CD key. We have 2 computers, 1 for me and 1 for my brother. I played on Simcity on my computer using the CD key and got addicted to the game. My brother saw the addictedness of the game and also wanted to play it so he installed it using the same key. I was just wondering if we were to play using the same key on DIFFERENT computers at the same time without making it illegal. It does not mean that playing multiplayer. Like single player with our own cities...
Hope you understand...
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

I don't think there is anything in the EULA that prevents installing the game on more than one computer. And since you two cannot play at the same time, it would simply amount to that, since I think the play disk is required for the game to run. The key is used to determine if the installed game is legally purchased, which it was in your case.
If either you or your brother, however, were to find a way to enable you both to play simultaneously, then that would probably be illegal.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

As long as your both not playing online your fine. If you install the game to you hard drive, it usually requires you to put the disc in to load it. Once its opened, most games will let you take the cd out and play fine. Hope this helps!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

The online area of SimCity 4 is where you may have issues with playing the game using the same key. Running the game should be fine as long as you have the original CD in the drive. There are ways around this though...

3939.png

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

A legal way around this, which I do often, is I make an ISO image of the CD, and then load it up into my virtual drive to save energy and time. I don't know if it's technically legal to do it so you can both play at the same time, but I'm sure it can be done.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users