Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Internet Connectivity Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mssecret105_*

Guest_mssecret105_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'm connected to a wireless network with the Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter and recently, for some strange reason, my internet would disconnect. At first, I thought that it was the computer's problem so I had it restored yesterday but the same problem appeared again. When the internet's disconnected, I cannot open the Linksys monitor and when I try to click on the little computer icon for wireless networks at the bottom of the screen, the usual window doesnt pop up. Then when I try to turn my computer off, nothing happens & I have to shut it down manually. Also, (this happened after I restored my computer) I can't get onto the Google website with both IE & Firefox & the Google toolbar doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any clue as to what's going on with my computer & the internet?

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

When connected try this free tool to scan for issues: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/too...gd/default.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_mssecret105_*

Guest_mssecret105_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

Thanks usasma for the free tool.. After running the test, it says that the "Network Address Translator Type" is not supported. However, it says "A result of "Not supported" in this test does not impact your basic Internet connectivity." so I am guessing that this is not the problem....

By the way, accessing Google is no longer a problem..

However, I have noticed that even if I leave my computer idle for a short period of time, the problems I have mentioned before in my first post occurs.

Any other suggestions?

#4 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

If you have a firewall installed, try disconnecting it. I've seen "zonealarm" crash my computer and had to install "Sygate" instead. I had a pcmcia d-link card on a laptop that had a little "Dlink" icon on the taskbar that showed when the computerwas connected to the net. This little taskbar icon display (which installed with the drivers from Dlink) somehow interfears with the windows task bar icon and would crash my computer when a wireless accesspoint was detected. All I did was to delete this taskbar icon by right clicking it and choosing "delete". You can keep it from loading on boot up by taking it out of the "startup" folder. This did NOT delete the driver for the Dlink card nor does it stop the driver from being loaded at bootup, it just keeps that taskbar display from loading. I have had great service with this Dlink card ever since doing the above deletion.

Edited by bbboogie2, 21 July 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

There may be an issue with compatibility of your router with IPv6 (this is one issue that the Network Address Translator Type test will show) - or even your ISP's compatibility. If so, try disabling IPv6 on your network card in your system. IPv6 (AFAIK) is only required for Meeting Space in Vista - all other programs should work fine without it.

Also, just for "surety", I'd suggest disabling the DHCP Broadcast Flag using these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

Edited by usasma, 22 July 2007 - 07:38 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users