Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

My friend got a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9250 PCI graphics card. Well when he first put it in, it didn't even detect the card. So I suggested to him that he install the drivers. He installed them from the ATI site, and then restarted his computer. This time, when he went under display there were 3 options for display, his integrated graphics, the 9250, and the 9250 secondary. I told him to select the 9250, extend to desktop, then use as primary monitor. Then go to the integrated graphics and unselect extend to desktop. After he clicked ok, he goes to plug his monitor up to the graphics card and the screen is just black. His integrated graphics are still showing the display.

This makes no sense to us, so I tell him to go into device manager and disable the integrated graphics. He does, restarts his computer and his graphics card is displaying the screen, but as if it were selected as being extended, not the primary monitor. What I mean is that it shows no icons, no star menu, no anything except the desktop background. He plugs the screen back up to his integrated graphics and he gets it as his primary display. He says all the colors are screwed up now, even though the resolutions on 1024x768 and 32-bit color.

Whats really making no sense, is now when he goes to display properties, it only shows his graphics card, and his graphics card secondary output. The settings are selected to be using his graphics card as primary monitor, even though its not. This is all real confusing to both of us, and I can't go and help him out personally since he lives 100's of miles away.

Any help please, thanks?

EDIT: Forgot to add computer specs:

Dell Dimension 2350

Celeron 1.7ghz processor.

Windows xp sp2

Edited by Sterling14, 11 July 2007 - 05:33 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

First thing He needs to go into the bios and use the advanced settings to make the new display adapter the primary video. then he should use the bios to enable or disable the onboard video. once this is done, restart the computer, remove the drivers that were installed and then restart in vga only. download the latest drivers, and download the .Net framework if needed. then re install.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users