Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootmagic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know what this BootMagic error 632 is?

I've done everything with PartitionMagic that is there to do to set up a hard disk to put a second OS installation on.

I have the first partition on my 500 GB Hitachi HD (without the current OS on it) of about 180 GB all ready to go for a new OS instillation. I start on PartitionMagic with the operation of "Install another Operating System". It starts on the procedure and somewhere just before completing it it throws up this:

"error 632, Can't execute the operation: Partition location, size, or type is different then anticipated"

I don't see where the mistake may be. Everything was straight forward.

First I start with the left side partition large enough to be made into a big enough partition to not only hold the OS but also all the additional (none data) programs that I'll be installing like Adobe and the like. This partition is labeled: "M: WINXP-SP2_2" (I know it doesn't need to be labeled yet, it just happened), is 185,006.3MB and is formated NTFS file system.

(I didn't want this partition named "C" because it would never end up on the left most partition where the new OS instillation is suppose to go. Partition Letter "C" is only suppose to be used for the OS partition.

However, the one time I tried this with the left partition labeled "C" no letters where assigned to the 2 resultant partitions made. I thought not labeling it "C" in the first place would reduce the chance of confusion to the program and possibly keep the errors from occurring, it apparently did not).

Next I start the steps:

1. I choose "Windows XP" for the new OS instillation.

2. I choose "Before M: WINXP-SP2_2" for the new instillation OS partition. (I know that partition M doesn't need to be named yet, it just happened).

2. I choose to only use partition "M: WINXP-SP2_2" for disk space to be used for this procedure, again to reduce the possibility of confusion to the program.

3. Next it spits up the default settings for the new OS partition to be made:
Size: 91,985 MB
Label: WINXP
Create as: Primary (I have no choice here)
File System Type: FAT32 (Recommended) - I used both FAT32 and NTFS

4. I hit next twice before it shows me what the result of my efforts are suppose to be:
2 primary partitions of about equal size (about 91 GB) the first labeled "WINXP" and the second "M: etc".

5. I hit next, this pits it to the Apply tab to execute the changes.

6. I "Apply" the changes. It begins the operations.

And every time I try this it goes to just before completion and then throws up an error, the latest error being error 632. I don't remember if there was a different error before that?

So, is there anyone that can please, please help me here. I desperately need to put a new OS instillation on my PC.

The SCSI that I'm presently using OS is only a 9 GB disk that is replacing a broken (eBay purchased) SCSI 78 GB that I really liked (the right side "ear" like appendage on the 80 pin female receptor on the back of the drive broke off. I received it with that "ear" partially severed and it finally completely broke, hence I'm using my old 9 GB SCSI).

However, the 9 GB SCSI doesn't hold that much and I have problems with programs being on other disks and ending up deleted which really screws things up for reinstalling programs like adobe. I now can not reinstall some of these basic programs like adobe because of this and I need them.

Sense I can't fix the 78 GB SCSI right away, I really would rather start with a new instillation on my brand new (also eBay purchased) Hitachi 500 GB HD. There will be plenty of space for all the programs that I could ever want to use.

So, please please help me get PartitionMagic / BootMagic to work for me.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

PS My friend that also uses PartitionMagic said that he recked many a instillation trying to do the exact same thing before he finally gave up trying to install a second OS onto his hard drives.

Please help us brake the PartitionMagic curse, Please.

MOD EDIT: Merged topics and posts (above and below this note) to avoid duplicate posts and removed link because it led back to this same post ~ stevealmighty

Hi,

That's all what is BootMagic Error 632?

Anyone, please!

John :flowers:

PS Please read Previous Post for more detail.

Edited by stevealmighty, 13 July 2007 - 01:50 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

I found a site with all 10032 error codes for BootMagic. :thumbsup:

Error 632 Can't execute the operation: Partition location, size, or type is different than anticipated.

Symantec does have a reputation for not being user friendly, if you want something a lot easier to use try Acronis Partition Expert, this is a free trail download.

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2007 - 12:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

I use partition magic, and have become quite proficient at it.. If you want to install a second OS, do not use the "Install other OS" Option. create a new partition, then boot back into Windows (I assume thats what you're using).. Then, once everything is good, restart your computer with the new OS disc and select the proper partition. If you use the Install other OS option, it sets the new partition as active, and if you dont have your disc ready to go, it'll boot to nothing, and you cant get back to your primary OS without a rescue disk that the program prompts you to make. So be careful, I've made many mistakes in this program..

And thats how you learn =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users