Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost the Commercial Script BT font.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:15 AM

I'm running W98SE on a six year-old Compaq. For my business, I developed a letterhead and some advertising materials, price lists, etc. and used a font called Commercial Script BT for some of the headings. Used it for years and it must have been available in my original MS Works suite as I've never downloaded a font.

Due to malware, I did a full system restore using the originally supplied Compaq CD's about a month ago. I backed up all of my documents and reinstalled them on my "new " system. However I have lost the Commercial Script BT font. It's not on the list of available fonts in Works, nor can I find it in Control Panel>Fonts. The documents I originally did using that font remain the same in the text area (all in Arial) but the headings are changed to something ugly (to me) font named "Lucida Handwriting". :thumbsup:

I googled for "Commercial Script BT" but could only find downloads for a price in excess of what I want to pay, i.e. no freeware. Also could not find anything similar that was attractive to me. Can any of you bright folks explain what happended to my font and how to get it (or similar) back in my system?

Edited by scarlett, 26 January 2005 - 11:01 AM.

"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:32 AM

Your Font was deleted during your format. Can you reinstall Works?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:39 AM

Golden Web

fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/lit/d2/True_Type_Fonts/c/c/start/100/default.html

Mods: i can't go to this site as of now so i'm unaware of whats on it please remove this URL if its not appropriate

Edit: Won't let me make it a Link!

//Mod edit: this site is in Italian//

Edited by KoanYorel, 25 January 2005 - 09:54 AM.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:11 AM

Leurgy: I had already tried the reinstall (see how smart you are making me!) but no joy. The font is apparently lost in the ether. Any other suggestions?
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:18 AM

Yeah. Make a new letterhead. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:30 AM

You're a real pal. :thumbsup:

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

Golden Web

fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/lit/d2/True_Type_Fonts/c/c/start/100/default.html

Mods: i can't go to this site as of now so i'm unaware of whats on it please remove this URL if its not appropriate

Edit: Won't let me make it a Link!

//Mod edit:  this site is in Italian//

Google will translate web pages for you. :trumpet: See link below.

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Edit: Oops. Just Google for GoldenWeb and click on "Translate this page" The link I just gave didn't stay translated. :flowers:

Nevermind :thumbsup: No need to split this off, unless eiether Izzy or twinsdad wishes me to.

Edited by scarlett, 25 January 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Posted Image

#8 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

Google = Uber
Google is where i got that Link. if you do a Search for "Commercial Script" BT Free on Google its the top site.

#9 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:46 PM

LoLucky: Thanks for the tip. I'd previously found that GoldenWeb site via Google trying to find Commercial Script BT. They do list it (and show samples) but it is not downloadable for free. They list 1000's of different fonts and about 1/2 of them are free so it's apparently a good resource for some fonts. I'm gonna noodle around in there this evening and see if I can find a freebie that is similar to what I had. Thanks again.

#10 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

Sorry didn't know like i said i'm unable to go to there from here

#11 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:56 PM

What version of Works did yo have twinsdad?

#12 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:37 PM

Izzy: It's Microsoft Works 2000, version 5.0. Do you have suggestions as to how to get my font (Commercial Script BT) back?
Frankly, I really don't like Works and have been toying with the idea of installing OpenOffice suite and am now wondering which fonts they supply. I'm a simple guy, using Arial 99% of the time, just need a readable cursive script (like CS-BT) for some advertising letterheads, etc.

#13 ChinaCat

ChinaCat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:25 PM

Hi twinsdad!

The problem with fonts is different publishers call the same font different names.

A version of Commercial Script (or what I know of as Commercial Script from my days as a typesetter) can be gotten for free here:

http://eknp.com/php/fd.php?f=elegant_script

I have used this site before and have never gotten hacked but of course, be careful. Hope this helps...

ChinaCat
newbie, working on cool siggy and avatar :thumbsup:

P.S. An excellent FREEWARE M$Office Suite alternative is EasyOffice... just got it and so far I'm diggin' it...

#14 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the tip ChinaCat.

I have Open Office, and searching for both fonts, I could not find either one. There are many that are cursive though.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

China Cat I owe you big-time for that link. Many many very cool cursive-type fonts there, at least two very similar to Commercial Script BT, and they are all FREE! :thumbsup: Thanks again. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users