Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Is Extremely Slow, Runs 100%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsk3

rsk3

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

I have an HP running XP. I had a number of viruses, which have been removed (my thread is in the HJT forum). However, the system is still extrememly slow. Specifically, if I'm not on the internet it's ok. Once I try to open a browser, I watch task manager and the system and explorer process both go to 50% (plus or minus 10), so CPU is at 100% and basically locks up. The explorer I/O goes into the 100s of thousands. It takes over a minute for the browser to open up. If I close it, both system and explorer usage drops to almost 0. This renders my PC basically useless for internet use.

I have run a number of virus checkers/scanners, and all are clean (Spybot, AdAware, Anti-Spyware, haxfix, combofix, f-secure). Per my HJT post, that is clean.

Would a different browser help...e.g., firefox, or should I look at a total restore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Can you list your system specifications? The problem goes away when you aren't connected to the Internet? Did I understand that correctly?

#3 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

For the most part, yes. As soon as I click on explorer, both system and explorer take up 100%. I would think iexplorer would go up, but that's at like 1-2%
Also, If I boot in safe mode with networking and go out, it's extrememly fast. I'll post the specs later today. It'a a HP Pavilion A400N running XP.

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

hi, firstly have you scan your system for viruses, trojans or even spywares? If not, please do. Seems like maybe your system is infected or a running services behind your system is taking the whole lot of memories from your system. My advice is for you to try a full system scan and maybe then if it still running slow, please post a hijackthis log. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

As mentioned above, I ran Spybot, Adaware, combofix, stinger, f-secure, haxfix, anti_Spyware...all come back clean. I'll attach a HJT log to this later.
Strange thing is, why would it ran fast on the Internet in safe mode, and crawl when I boot normally?

#6 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

Actually, it sporadically runs slow even when not on the internet. System and explorer use up 100% of CPU. In safe mode this doesn't happen. I re-loaded the drivers...this didn't help. Could this be a H/W problem?
Also, I ran an online scanner to check the registry. It came back with over 500 'problems', but want you to buy their S/W to fix them. Can this thing be accurate, or is it just a marketing scheme? Again, all virus scanners (about 10) show nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users