Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Compter Is Has A Ghost And And Englishmen In It

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lovenlife

lovenlife

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Hi New here,

Recently my PC has started playing a short audio sound when nothing is apparently running, or me performing any activity. Out of no where I get a short audio “WWwwooooooo” (like a ghost) or some bloke going “Cheers!” This only seems to happen when I’m connected to the internet, sometimes it happens frequently (a few time per hours) others I only hear it once. Anybody come across this before? I have run MaCafee, ad-aware, spybot, and still there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

I don't think it is the Casper TFG virus. Try exiting your Instant Messaging program(s) for a day and see if it goes away. Sounds like people logging on to your IM.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

Happens when AIM is not up to <shrug>

#4 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

just got the ghost again

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

You have to right click on the Aim icon in the task bar and select exit. Just because you don't see the side panel doesn't mean it is not running.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

You have to right click on the Aim icon in the task bar and select exit. Just because you don't see the side panel doesn't mean it is not running.

I am aware of that thanks, in the case i mentioned before it was "exited" Thanks

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Any other IM possibly running?

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
Instructions for posting the log in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#8 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, it's posted.

#9 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

Me so stupid, yes I think you are right. I could have sworn AIM was exited when the sounds came through at times. Your post got me thinking and i poked around on AIM expressions and low and behold I found the "Cheers" sound, I'm sure the Ghost is there to. Funny just as i was typing this there went the Ghost lol Sorry and thanks again

I should have figured a person i know from the UK in my buddy list would be the culprit (Homer momment) Da-Oh

Edited by lovenlife, 11 July 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

Glad you figured it out. You might want to let the Hijack This team know. Or you can wait until they respond.

#11 lovenlife

lovenlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

No I did post on the thread yestarday that i was a complete and total bone head lol

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users