Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:45 AM
Like many of you, I got this infection, found their website hoping for a solution, and was disappointed. I did send them an email, expecting nothing, and was able to remove HSA by following your tutorial. Thank you for that.
Then to my great surprise I got a response from a Paul Atrides, <firstname.lastname@example.org> outlining their own removal procedure. So I thought I'd share this with everyone. I have not tried it myself, but some of you were trying to find the registry entries that would solve the problem. Hard to imagine that there is a legitimate business behind this little devil. Here's the email I got:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
thank you for your message.
If you're experiencing problems with uninstalling Home Search Assistant via Add/Remove Program you can try to remove it manually.
1. Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
2. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Classes/CLSID'
3. Delete folders:
if they exist.
4. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Browser Helper Objects' and delete the entries mentioned before if they exist.
5. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
Current version/Unistall' and delete folders named HSA, SW, SE, MSSearch or similar, if they exist.
6. Exit the registry editor and reset your web settings.
Best Regards and happy surfing!
|Your "search software" somehow installed itself. I never asked for it and I don't want it. Please provide a real uninstall program - the link on this page is not it.