Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HSA removal, from the horse's mouth

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smilo

smilo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

Like many of you, I got this infection, found their website hoping for a solution, and was disappointed. I did send them an email, expecting nothing, and was able to remove HSA by following your tutorial. Thank you for that.

Then to my great surprise I got a response from a Paul Atrides, <support@looking-for.cc> outlining their own removal procedure. So I thought I'd share this with everyone. I have not tried it myself, but some of you were trying to find the registry entries that would solve the problem. Hard to imagine that there is a legitimate business behind this little devil. Here's the email I got:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi,
thank you for your message.

If you're experiencing problems with uninstalling Home Search Assistant via Add/Remove Program you can try to remove it manually.

1. Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
2. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Classes/CLSID'
3. Delete folders:
{FD9BC004-8331-4457-B830-4759FF704C22}
{E2DDF680-9905-4dee-8C64-0A5DE7FE133C}
{587DBF2D-9145-4c9e-92C2-1F953DA73773}
{D34F08C5-4F18-477c-86CB-1A9BEECFE37B}
{6CC1C91A-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A}
{E122F1C5-1819-63DA-1653-E95BDD9FEDA9}
if they exist.
4. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Browser Helper Objects' and delete the entries mentioned before if they exist.
5. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
Current version/Unistall' and delete folders named HSA, SW, SE, MSSearch or similar, if they exist.
6. Exit the registry editor and reset your web settings.

Best Regards and happy surfing!
Paul Atrides.
Support department.

----------------------------ORIGINAL MESSAGE----------------------------

|Your "search software" somehow installed itself. I never asked for it and I don't want it. Please provide a real uninstall program - the link on this page is not it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't trust anything those slimeballs said. Notice how they install their adware. You wouldn't find those registry keys in a million years. If Paul Atrides
actually exists I have to wonder how he can sleep at night.

Notice that there is no mention of the executable that installs or runs this junk and they don't mention the folder in your program files. They assume you removed it from add/remove I suppose but that rarely works with this kind of a program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users