Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Slimline Desktop Pcv-lx2 Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SebD

SebD

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

Hope someone can help as Sony are worse than useless (even denying the problem exists, yet a simple google search shows many to be having the same problem).

Due to virus infections, I had to clean down and reinstall XP Pro.

The Video driver is put in correctly and the screen works OK in safe mode.

When starting up in Normal Mode, however, the screen just goes black.

The screen is none standard connector to the port on the motherboard (it also takes its power thru the same port - no other power input port available on the screen).

Have tried updating Driver and rinstalled Windows three times now, each time I get the same result.

Screen OK in BIOS. Screen OK in Safe Mode. Screen OK in normal Mode up until just before the Windows Welcome Sound, at which point it goes black.

No other possible Video Ports on Base Unit and no room to fit an alternative PCI or AGP card (+ no way to power the screen even if the lead could be changed and a card fitted).

Any help gratefully received.

Edited by SebD, 11 July 2007 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Have you tried changing the resolution in safe/VGA mode to something like 800 x 600 and see if it comes up?

Edited by jwinathome, 11 July 2007 - 07:42 AM.

#3 SebD

SebD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

Have you tried changing the resolution in safe/VGA mode to something like 800 x 600 and see if it comes up?

Thanx for the reply.

Yes, default is only 480 x 640 so I tried all the other options (which are all there and not greyed out).

Resolution is changed OK in safe mode, but screen still goes black at normal start-up.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

What driver do you have listed for your video adapter....can be viewed in safe mode from the Hardware Profile.

#5 SebD

SebD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

What driver do you have listed for your video adapter....can be viewed in safe mode from the Hardware Profile.

It's an nVidea GeForce 2 MX. All shows to be working correctly and fine in Safe Mode.

Someone suggested to another seeking help on another board that the screen or Motherboard was faulty, but prior to the reinstallation of Windows, the machine was fine except for Malware infections, so the Hardware is OK.

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Generally hardware issues can be ruled out if the problem is not duplicated in safe mode. This sounds more driver-centric. The Nvidia video drivers are not loaded in safe mode.

#7 SebD

SebD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

Generally hardware issues can be ruled out if the problem is not duplicated in safe mode. This sounds more driver-centric. The Nvidia video drivers are not loaded in safe mode.

Sorry, I'm confused. Was that a statement or a question, cuz the Nvidia driver is showing as OK when in Safe Mode.

It beggars belief how complacent and uncaring Sony have been over this. It's the age-old story of them being quick enuf to take my hard-earned, but all I probably need is to be pointed in the direction of a set of Boot files I can download onto this, my working, PC and copy to CD and then jump-start the Sony desktop with.

The solution is probably oh so easy to resolve, but Sony's "Support" Centre "can't be bovvered" to help.

It ain't nice.
It ain't cool.
Don't buy Sony.
Or you're a fool.

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

The Nvidia drivers will not load in safe mode. The generic VGA.sys Microsoft video driver loads in safe mode. This is so as to prevent any conflicts in your display and make it easier to diagnose problems, including display problems. You may try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. Make sure that you have the latest NVidia drivers.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Try downloading and installing drivers for your video card from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html
The use of drivers from nVidia will often overcome problems with the drivers that were supplied by the PC manufacturer (I've seen this several times with HP).

If this doesn't fix the problem, then there may be another driver for your video card that's needed - in that case, please use this free tool to find out what it says about your video card: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users