Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Get More Ram?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

I'm a newbie and I'm finding that my computer is a bit slow.

I'm thinking of getting some more RAM installed into my system.

I'm hoping this might speed it up a little. I'm thinking of doubling what I now have. I'd appreciate any advice.

My specs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

Yes, you could use more memory and it would probably make your computer more responsive. But don't expect miracles from it - you'll still need to remove some of the detritus that's accumulated in the system in order to help restore the system's "peppiness". http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Anic

Anic

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

Yes, you could use more memory and it would probably make your computer more responsive. But don't expect miracles from it - you'll still need to remove some of the detritus that's accumulated in the system in order to help restore the system's "peppiness". http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

completely agree

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

And a great way to check out what is surplus on your C: drive is SEQUOIA VIEW:

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview//

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

Certainly computer maintenance, as been suggested previously, is a good (and inexpensive) way to keep your computer working as it should. And, if you do a lot of media work, or extensively use office-type software, additional memory will certainly speed up photo editing or writing that 600-page novel you are writing in your spare time. Fortunately, RAM while not free, is relatively inexpensive, and well worth the investment.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thank you all for being so helpful.

I've been told in the past that one reason my computer is not as fast as it could be is because of all the programs I have at Startup. I was told to dump some of these. But I like my toys.

I like my spell-checker, and my illuminated time-piece, and my email-alerter, and my clip-board, and my appointment reminder. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#7 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

I've been told in the past that one reason my computer is not as fast as it could be is because of all the programs I have at Startup. I was told to dump some of these. But I like my toys.

I like my spell-checker, and my illuminated time-piece, and my email-alerter, and my clip-board, and my appointment reminder. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

hey im not going to lie that is alot of stuff that could be slowing ur computer down =)

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

Well you have the motherboard to handle at least 1gb of RAM. That would be advised.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:00 AM

Thank you noaim and acklan.

Today I took my computer down to the local Computer shop and they said that for my purposes I don't need any more memory.

They instead installed a new and much more powerful 'Power Supply' unit which has made my CPU a lot quieter - and it seems to have speeded it up a bit.

I know I've got a lot of stuff in my taskbar - but I use them all the time.

I still can't understand why Windows XP Home doesn't have a clipboard that operates like Yankee Clipper 3.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/yankee.html

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

As long as it does what you need that is great. Good to hear it was that simple.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thank you noaim and acklan.

Today I took my computer down to the local Computer shop and they said that for my purposes I don't need any more memory.

They instead installed a new and much more powerful 'Power Supply' unit which has made my CPU a lot quieter - and it seems to have speeded it up a bit.

I know I've got a lot of stuff in my taskbar - but I use them all the time.

I still can't understand why Windows XP Home doesn't have a clipboard that operates like Yankee Clipper 3.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/yankee.html

its great that its doing what you need it to do now. However I will suggest that if in future time you decide its still slow ram never hurts IMO. It often makes the computer run smoother.

hope all is well.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

Posted Image

Just a thought. Couldn't you take some of those apps. and remove them from the startup bar and put them in the quick launch tool bar?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

Thank you all, but I now think my speed is just as slow as it was before.

garmanma - I'll see if I can move some of my Startup apps to the Quickstart section.

I've installed this free software which might help me.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users